State ID

How to Get a Wisconsin State Identification Card (WI ID)

Click here for a printable guide.

Students who are not eligible for a Wisconsin driver's license can obtain a WI ID card to use as proof of age or identity. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation offers a non-driver state ID card. There is a $28 fee, which you will need to pay by cash or check. The Wisconsin DMV does not accept payments by credit or debit card. Confirm the required fee with your local DMV Office.

Minimum Stay Requirement:

Wisconsin will issue a state ID to non-immigrant students and visitors who will have legal status in the United States for a minimum of 6 months and who are eligible to remain in the United States for at least 3 months at the time of applying for the ID card.

The following items are needed to apply for a Wisconsin State Identification Card:

  • Passport
  • Form I-20 (F-1 students) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 students)
  • Form I-94 or printed I-94 verification
  • One other form of identification (such as your UW-Platteville student ID card)
  • Social Security number or a form titled “Certification of Non-Eligibility for Social Security Number” which states that you are not eligible for a Social Security number. (You may obtain a copy of this form at the Department of Transportation when you apply for the card or at the Social Security Administration office.)
  • Proof of Wisconsin residency, such as a copy of your apartment lease, bank statement from a Wisconsin bank, or electric utility bill showing your residence address.
  • Completed Driver License/Identification Card (MV3004) form accessible at

Apply for a Wisconsin State ID at the following location:

Platteville Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
31 Means Drive
Platteville, WI 53818

The DMV office is located just off of Highway 151 in the Platteville Industry Park. This location is behind K-Mart. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time, as there may be a long wait.

DMV Hours of Operation:

Mondays: 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesdays: 7 a.m.-5 p.m.

More Information:

For more information on obtaining a Wisconsin State ID card, please see the following website:

Filling out the application:

When applying for either a Wisconsin Driver License or an Identification Card, you must complete the following application MV 3004:

  • On this form there is a space to list a social security number (SSN).
  • Also on this form, it asks you to choose one of the following categories: U.S. Citizen, Permanent or Conditional Permanent Resident or Temporary Visitor. If you are here in F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 status, you are considered a temporary visitor.
  • If you do not have a SSN, when you apply the person will ask you whether or not you qualify. Remember, you only qualify for a SSN if you are legally employed. You should know if you are eligible for a SSN before you go to the DMV. Please inquire at the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office if you have any questions.
  • If you do qualify for a SSN, you must have a social security number. Please seek assistance from ISSS if you need help with the process.
  • If you do not qualify for a SSN, the DMV will continue the process of reviewing your application.
  • If you have a SSN, please list it on the application.

Expiration of the Wisconsin State ID:

For F-1 students and F-2 dependents:

  • ID cards are valid for 4 years from your next birthday.

For J-1 students and J-2 dependents:

  • Expiration date for your original ID will match the expiration date of your DS-2019, but no longer than 2 years (for a license) or 4 years (for an ID) from your next birthday.

Special Notes:

  • Canadian students have some special circumstances to consider. If you already have a valid driver license from any province in Canada, you cannot obtain a Wisconsin ID. If you wish to declare Wisconsin residency, you should apply for a Wisconsin driver license within 60 days of moving to Wisconsin.
  • If you have a valid driver license from any province in Canada or any other state in the U.S., you cannot obtain a Wisconsin ID, as those documents show you are a resident of someplace else.