- Access your I-94
- I-94 Retrieval Tips
- Calculate visa wait times
- Check your visa application status
- Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Travel and Port of Entry Checklist and Information
- Filing Fees for USCIS (for OPT, STEM extension, Change of Status, etc.)
- USCIS Case Processing Times (for OPT, STEM extension, Change of Status, etc.)
- Date Calculator for Immigration Processing
- Did you have problems going through U.S. Customs at the airport?'
- USCIS Application Tracking
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville has been certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to accept non-immigrant (e.g., international) students. The Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) at UW-Platteville, who is authorized to deal with immigration related issues for F-1 students, and the Responsible Officer (RO), who is authorized to deal with immigration issues for J-1 students and scholars, is the International Student and Scholar Advisor, Liz Kruse.
resources for prospective and current international students
This Study in the States website provides information on how to study in the United States and how to maintain your visa status.
View answers to frequently asked questions by non-immigrant (international) students on an F-1 visa.
Maintaining Legal Status
As an F or J visa holder, it is your responsibility to know and abide by these U.S. immigration regulations.
A visa is a document issued by a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, and placed in a passport (issued by the travelers country), that indicates the traveler is eligible to seek entry into the United States, for a specific purpose. The U.S. Department of State (DOS) operates U.S. embassies and consulates around the world and is responsible for issuing U.S. visas.
SEVIS: Student and Exchange Visitor Information System
- SEVIS is an internet-based system that allows schools and the Department of Homeland Security to record and exchange information about the immigration status of F-1 international students and J-1 exchange visitors.
- Information is recorded, housed, and transmitted electronically throughout the students academic career and during an exchange visitors time in the US
- U.S. Embassies, Consulates and other U.S. government agencies, as well as UW-Platteville, have access to this information.
SEVIS 901 Fee
Click here to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee.
For a video tutorial (instructions) on how to pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee, please click here.
When the visitors arrive in U.S., a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer will scan traveler's passports and create an electronic record of arrival called a form I-94. If you need a physical copy of your I-94 to apply for a driver’s license, state ID or social security card then you can print a copy of your I-94 by accessing the CBP website at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94. You will need to type in your name, date of birth, passport number, country of issuance, date of entry and class of admission to access your I-94 electronically.
For more detailed instructions about printing out your form I-94 for the UW-Platteville ISSS office, please click here.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is responsible for controlling entry of people into the US and for monitoring people while in the US as well as enforcing federal law. The United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) are all components of DHS. USCIS, ICE, and CBP were formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). The title Immigration and Naturalization Service may still appear on some official documents and forms.
|Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status for full-time academic study. This is a DHS form, issued by UW-Platteville after all requirements for admission have been successfully completed. This form is a required document for an F-visa interview.|
|Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (J-1). This is a DOS form, issued by UW-Platteville after all requirements for admission have been successfully completed. This form is a required document for a J-visa interview.|
Form I-94 is the Arrival & Departure Record of F and J student visa holders and is proof of legal entry into the United States.
Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)
Responsible Officer (RO)
Assistant Director, International Programs
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
What is a Principal Designated School Official (PDSO)?
What is a Responsible Officer (RO)?