Global Amigos will be matched on a first come first serve basis and applications must be submitted to the UW-Platteville International Programs Office by December 1 (for students wishing to participate in the spring) or July 15 (for students wishing to participate in the fall).
Global Amigos - New Student Information
What is the Global Amigos Program?
For international students who are unfamiliar with U.S. culture, adjusting to life in Wisconsin and at UW-Platteville can be both thrilling and challenging. The Global Amigos Program at UW-Platteville, a friendship program in which current U.S. and international students are paired with new international students, was created to help ease the new international students’ transition to UW-Platteville and the U.S. and allow current students to get to know new students from around the world.
Participating in Global Amigos can be a rewarding experience for all participating students as it provides opportunities for cultural and social relationships that can create a foundation for lasting friendships.
What do Global Amigos do?
UW-Platteville International Programs will assign new international students with current students who are interested in learning more about other cultures and who are willing to volunteer to serve as a personal guide to life at UW-Platteville. As a new student at UW-Platteville, having a Global Amigo can help ensure a smooth transition into your new life in Platteville while offering cultural guidance, linguistic support, or just a helping hand and friendly face. You’re sure to have questions on everything from classes to culture, and your Amigo can offer valuable guidance and advice in these situations.
Things to Do with your Amigo:
UW-Platteville International Programs will host a series of group events throughout the semester to give Global Amigos participants the chance to interact with each other and other Amigos. Participants are expected to attend at least three of the organized events and are encouraged to organize their own get-togethers based on their interests. Some ideas may include:
• Attend UW-Platteville sporting events
• Participate in the homecoming festivities
• Cook your favorite meals together
• See a play at the UW-Platteville Center for the Arts
• Attend the UW-Platteville Career Fair or the Campus Involvement Fair
• Introduce to your friends at UW-Platteville
• Attend events sponsored by Campus Programming and Relations
• Take a trip to Madison or Dubuque
• Attend UW-Platteville International Student Club, Students for Education Abroad, or Café International meetings or events
• Take a trip to the “M”
• Go on an UW-Platteville Outdoor Recreation trip together
• Go bowling, to the movies, or for a cup of coffee
Who can participate in the Global Amigos Program?
All new, incoming international students have the option of applying to the Global Amigos Program. Interested students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Be enrolled at UW-Platteville as a full-time student for the next upcoming semester
• Complete all necessary application materials through the UW-Platteville International Programs Office
Your Responsibilities as a First-Year Global Amigo
It takes two to make your experience as a Global Amigo successful. Ensure that you are contributing effectively by:
• Participating in at least three group events organized by UW-Platteville International Programs during the semester in which you are an Amigo
• Planning your own get-togethers throughout the semester, meeting with your Amigo at least once every two weeks outside of the group events
• Taking responsibility and being responsive, acting on what you have planned
• Asking your Amigo questions related to U.S. culture, life at UW-Platteville, etc.
• Sharing information about your own home culture
• Remembering the goals of the Global Amigos Program while noting your own goals and the goals of your Amigo
• Keeping an open mind, being a good listener, and enjoying your time with your new Amigo
Schedule – Group Activities
UW-Platteville International Programs will host several group events throughout the semester to give Global Amigos participants the chance to interact with each other and other Amigos. In addition to getting together once every two weeks, Amigos are expected to attend at least two of the organized group activities. To view the Global Amigos schedule of group activities, please click on the link on the right-hand side of this page.
Friday, October 28, 2016 -
Thursday, November 3, 2016 -
Friday, November 4, 2016 -
Friday, November 11, 2016 -
Thursday, November 17, 2016 -