Section: ISSS

F-2 Dependents

What is an F-2 Visa?

An F-2 is a visa for a dependent of an F-1 student in the U.S. F-2 dependents may remain in the U.S. as long as the F-1 student maintains good status. Spouses and children are classified as dependents.

The F-1 student must apply on the F2’s behalf to obtain the I-20. Upon receipt of these documents, the ISSS office will issue an I-20 document for each dependent and a new I-20 document for the F-1 student. The student must sign the dependent(s) I-20 document(s). The dependent will use the I-20 document to apply for an F-2 visa.

Please note:

  • F-2 dependents are not eligible for any paid employment in the U.S.
  • Children may attend nursery, primary and secondary school while on a dependent I-20.
  • Spouses and children are not authorized to study full time at the college level while on a dependent I-20. A change of Status to F-1 may be required.
  • International health Insurance is strongly encouraged and may be added to the policy of the primary F-1 student.

Who is eligible to obtain an F-2 or Dependent I-20?

  • Any child of an F-1 student under the age of 21
  • A legal spouse

Please note: If the dependent is already in the U.S. on another visa, the dependent must complete a Change of Status (COS) in order to become an F-2. This memo does not discuss COS.

How Do I apply for a dependent I-20?

The F-1 student must follow the instructions below to apply to be issued a dependent I-20:

 1. Log in to your online ISSS account.  To access your online ISSS account, go to Click on "ISSS Log In." Log in to your online ISSS account with your ISSS account username and password.

  • Once you are logged in, click on "Search Programs." (left side of page in black box underneath "Your Home Page")
  • In the dropdown box next to "Show:", select "Requests" and click "Search."
  • Click on the authorization (i.e. Dependent I-20 Request.) for which you would like to apply.
  • Click on "Apply Now" and select the year for which you will be receiving the authorization.

2. Complete the Dependent I-20 Request Application on your online ISSS account. You may request between 1-3 dependent I-20s using the same Dependent Request Form. Click "Submit" after you have completed the form/uploaded the required documentation. If you will be requesting more than three dependent I-20s, please contact

3. Documents that you must upload to your Dependent I-20 Request application on your online ISSS account include:

  • Copy of the dependent’s passport
  • Financial Certification Form

What should the F-2 bring to the visa appointment?

  • Passport
  • Copy of student’s passport and visa
  • Original Marriage Certificate (for a spouse) or Original Birth Certificate (for a child)
  • Original dependent I-20
  • Copy of student’s I-20
  • Original financial documents (bank statement and affidavit, if applicable)
  • Proof of ties to home country
  • Other documents as required (See the appropriate consulate website for details)


F-2 Reporting Requirements

  • Please email to schedule a required "document check" appointment with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office upon arrival to UW-Platteville. This document check appointment must occur within 30 days of the dependent's arrival at UW-Platteville. Please bring a copy of the dependent's passport, visa, and I-94 to the appointment. The ISSS Office is located in Royce Hall (first floor) on the UW-Platteville campus.

Footer Anchor