International Students at Career Fair

On-Campus Employment

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, F-1 students may work at any qualifying on-campus job that does not displace a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR). They can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and they may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student's annual break.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorizes F-1 students to work off-campus before degree completion in a job, internship, practicum, or co-op program that is directly related to their major area of study.

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and allows an F-1 student in the United States to be authorized for temporary work, or training, directly related to his/her major area of study. OPT can be authorized before or after completion of studies, but it is typically completed after a student graduates. The total period of authorization cannot exceed the equivalent of 12 full months during a program of study.

OPT Extension: 24-Month STEM Extension

The 24-Month STEM Extension is employment authorization for certain science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degree holders who are about to finish their regular 12 months of OPT and wish to request additional 24 months of OPT.

Applying for a Social Security Number

Before applying for a social security number, F-1 students must have been in the U.S. for at least 10 days and they must have reported to the International Student and Scholar Services office at their school to activate their student status. Students also must have a job offer to apply for a social security number.

Career Resources

The ISSS Office has designed this Career Resources webpage to assist UW-Platteville international students in getting the information they need on how to prepare to get a job or internship in the U.S.