Section: ISSS

Departure from UW-Platteville

UW-Platteville Campus

Departure from UW-Platteville

If you will be departing UW-Platteville prior to the end date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019, or if you will be changing your visa status,  participating in a study abroad program, or abandoning your Optional Practical Training (OPT), please fill out the "Departure Form" and email it to If you will be withdrawing from the university, please see the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to discuss the withdrawal process.

What to Do Before Leaving UW-Platteville

  1. Notify the ISSS Office. International students must inform the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office of their desire to withdraw or take a leave of absence. The ISSS Office will give you information regarding what will happen with your SEVIS record if you withdraw or take a leave of absence from UW-Platteville.
  2. Fill out ISSS departure form. Complete the "Departure Form." If withrawing from the university, student must meet with the ISSS Office to discuss the immigration implications of the leave of absence or withdrawal.
  3. Visit Registrar’s Office (Brigham Hall). If you are a student and are registered for the next term, you must dis-enroll yourself from those classes in PASS. If you are not able to drop the classes on your own in PASS,  visit, write or email the Registrar’s Office ( or +1.608.342.1321) from your UW-Platteville email account to be dis-enrolled from the next semester. If you are enrolled for classes, you will be responsible for paying the tuition/fees. Only Students Withdrawing from the University: Specific directions concerning complete withdrawal from the university may be obtained by contacting the Registrar’s Office. Please request and complete an “Official Withdrawal from All Classes” form from the Registrar’s Office if you will be withdrawing before the end of the current semester.
  4. Update Forwarding Address. Go to the U.S. Post Office and complete the form to have your mail forwarded or visit the U.S. Post Office online at and enter your “Change of Address” information online. The U.S. Post Office may not forward mail to a non-U.S. address. Check their current regulations.
  5. Return all library books (Karmann Library).
  6. Return all textbooks (Textbook Center).
  7. Make arrangements to sub-lease your apartment or talk to landlord about your options for addressing your lease (if you live off-campus) OR notify the Residence Life Office of your departure (if you are living on campus).
  8. Cancel your meal plan at the Meal Access Office (Markee Pioneer Student Center, Lower Level, Room 1313)
  9. Notify appropriate offices/individuals of your withdrawal. International students who will be departing the university should contact the following offices/departments/individuals:
  10. Sell Your Car.
  11. Keep Your Social Security Card. Your Social Security number will remain on record even if you are not in the United States. Keep your Social Security card in case you ever return to the United States.
  12. Pay Your Bill.  Pay off financial obligations in PASS. Continue to check PASS for next couple of months to ensure that no new charges are added. Please note: You may be charged a fee to withdraw from classes. If you withdraw from classes after the 10th day of classes of the semester, you will not receive a full refund. Please contact the Cashier’s Office at +1-608-342-1211 for any questions related to refunds or fees.
  13. Updating SEVIS Record. The SEVIS record(s) of the student and their dependents will be shortened to reflect the day that the student completed his/her academic program. If a student is withdrawing from classes, his/her SEVIS record will be terminated on the date of withdrawal from classes or departure date for leave of absence outside the U.S., whichever is earlier.
  14. Departure from the U.S. Please see information below regarding the length of the grace period allowed for students to stay in the U.S. after they have completed their program and/or after their SEVIS record has been terminated. F-2/J-2 dependents are not eligible to remain in the U.S. once the F-1/J-1 student or scholar has departed.
  15. Change in Plans. If the student's travel plans change, it is the student's responsibility to inform the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office BEFORE leaving the country.

Withdrawal/Leave of Absence

Withdrawal from the university refers to a complete withdrawal from the university, including withdrawal from all classes for the term.

Leave of Absence means that you intend to return to your studies at UW-Platteville. If out of the U.S. for more than 5 months, the student will need to re-apply for admission to the university and obtain new immigration documents prior to returning to the United States. Time is counted from date of departure.

If you will be withdrawing from the University or taking a leave of absence, please set up an appointment with the ISSS Office to discuss your plans and fill out the necessary forms.

Important Grace Period Information

60 Days for F-1 Completion of Program - If you have completed your academic course work or practical training you are allotted 60 days to prepare for departure from the U.S.

30 Days for J-1 Completion of Program - If you have completed your academic course work or academic training you are allotted 30 days to prepare for departure from the U.S.

15 Days for F-1 / J-1 Approved Withdrawal - If you have been granted authorized withdrawal due to a leave of absence, medical leave or military leave your SEVIS record will be terminated and you are allotted 15 days to depart the U.S.

Immediate Departure for Suspension or Termination of Status  - If you fail to maintain a full course load or otherwise fail to maintain your F-1 / J-1 immigration status, you are not eligible for a grace period and must depart the U.S. immediately.

Contact Us

Contact Us

International Student and Scholar Services Office
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
1 University Plaza
Royce Hall
Platteville, WI 53818


Phone: +1.608.342.1726

Footer Anchor