Change of Major

U.S. immigration regulations state that students on an F-1 visa must notify the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) Office with 10 days of changing their major so that the student's SEVIS record can be updated with the new major. The student's major will need to be updated by the ISSS Office in SEVIS and the student will be issued a new I-20 reflecting the new major. If you are an F-1 student who has recently changed your major, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Complete a "Degree Program Change Form" which you can obtain from the Registrar's Office (Brigham Hall, First Floor) or on the Registrar's Office website. Obtain the necessary signatures and return the completed form to the Registrar's Office (Brigham Hall, First Floor).
  2. Verify that your major has been updated in PASS.
  3. After your major has been updated in PASS, complete the I-20 Request Form (linked on the right-hand side of this webpage) and email it to or return it to the ISSS Office (Royce Hall, First Floor)
  4. The ISSS Office will issue you a new I-20 with your new major and will email you when your new I-20 is ready to be picked up from the International Programs Office front desk.
  5. Never throw away any of your old I-20s, even after being issued a new I-20 with a new major, and even after transferring to a new university. You should keep all of your I-20s in a safe place with your other immigration documents.