On-Campus Employment

Working at the Pioneer Perk

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, F-1 students may work at any qualifying on-campus job that does not displace a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR). They can work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session, and they may work full-time during those periods when school is not in session or during the student's annual break.

Looking for a job on campus?

You have a few different options for finding a job on campus.


View a list of on-campus job openings posted online at Pioneer Career Network powered by Handshake.

Instructions for using the Pioneer Career Network powered by Handshake to find an on-campus job are as follows:

  • Log on to Pioneer Career Network powered by Handshake. Click on the "UW-Platteville" link, and you will then be prompted to enter your UW-Platteville net ID and password.  If the system says you do not have an account, click on the "Sign up for account" link to create an account.
  • After you are logged in, click on "Job Search" at the top of the page, then click "On Campus."
  • Click on "Filters", click on "Paid roles only", and click "See jobs." (Internationa students on student visas are not eligible for "work study" jobs. See below for details.)
  • Please note that not all campus jobs are posted online, so you may want to try option #2 below, as well.


Visit the office or department on campus where you would like to work and ask if they have any positions available, or whether they will have positions open in the near future.

Can I work in a "Work Study" JOb?

International students on F visas are not eligible to work in "Work Study" jobs on campus. "Work Study" jobs are funded by U.S. federal (government) dollars, and therefore individuals who are not U.S. citizens are not eligible to work in jobs designated as "Work Study."

Some jobs are open to students who are or who are not eligible for "work study" jobs, so if you are not sure if the job is open to students not eligible for work study, please ask the hiring supervisor to inquire about your eligibility.

Where International Students Have Worked on Campus

  • Catering
  • Dining Services
  • International Programs Office
  • Media Technology Services
  • Academic Support Programs
  • Tutoring Services
  • Residence Life
  • CenterPoint
  • Information Technology Services (ITS) Help Desk
  • Admission Office
  • Foundation Office
  • Registrar's Office

Skills You Need for Many On-Campus Jobs

  • Attention to Detail
  • Customer Service Skills
  • Written and/or Verbal Communication Skills
  • Critical Thinking Skills
  • Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.)
  • Familiarity with Outlook Calendar

Found a job you are interested in?

The next step is to contact the supervisor. He or she will tell you how to apply for the job. Some supervisors just want an interview, while others want you to write an application letter.

Get Hired?

If you get hired, your supervisor will need to write a letter to confirm that you will be hired for the job, including your position title, the number of hours/week you will work, a statement about what you will do, and when you are expected to start the job. The letter should also include your supervisor's contact information.

You must report to the Financial Aid office, Payroll, the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office, and the Social Security Administration office to complete the necessary paperwork. Not complying with these guidelines for on-campus employment may be a violation of status that could result in you having to leave the United States.

If you are hired to work on campus but do not yet have a social security number, you will need to apply for a social security card.