General - FAQs


Q.  How do I enter my Emergency Contact information?

A.  Log into your Employee Portal and go to the Personal Information section on the right of your screen. Click on Update my Personal Information and scroll down to Change/update emergency contract.

Q.  Why provide Emergency Contact Information?

A.  This allows HR to provide your desired contact information to campus or law enforcement officials quickly.  This information will NOT be provided to anyone other than those needing it for your welfare.

Q.  Criminal Background Checks – I completed the paperwork, now what?

A.  Once HR has entered the initial information into the vendor software (GIS), you will receive an email from asking you to follow a link to complete the process.  The background check process is NOT complete until after you have provided the requested information and a response is received by HR.

Q.  I've moved to another location on campus, how do I update the online directory?

A.  Send an email to and let us know your new location and phone number.

Q.  My home address changed, how do I change it in the system?

A.  Go to My UW Portal and under Personal Information, click on "Update my personal information."

Q.  Where do I find my Payroll Employee ID Number? 

A.  You can find this at the top of your Earning Statement, which can be found on My UW Portal under the Payroll Information section.  Note:  This is not the number needed for your Parking Permit.

Q.  How do I find out my Employee ID Number that is needed for the Parking Permit?

A.  This is your PASS ID Number and you can call the Help Desk at x1400 to obtain this number.  You can also obtain this number by email: or by phone at 608.342.1176.

Q.  I recently got married, what do I need to do to update my records?

A.  You will need to do a new I-9 form with your new name which will include documents needed with your new name on it.  An updated Social Security card and Drivers License OR Passport will work for your I-9 form.  To update your name in the HRS system and for your Benefits, please bring in your updated Social Security card to our office.

Q.  I want to change my preferred name on the online phonebook.  What do I need to do?

A.  Email with preferred name for the online phonebook. 

Please note:  Your legal name cannot be changed in the HRIS system (UW Portal, paycheck, insurance forms, etc.)

If you have a question that isn't answered here, please send an email to