Scholarships BILSA BIO
CSS to Hide Title
College of BILSA Scholarships
The following Biology Scholarships are available to students with majors or minors in Biology. A student must have completed 1 semester on campus, be a full-time student and pursuing a degree on campus. To apply for the scholarships below, complete the Continuing Student on-line application, please state your qualifications in the comments section of the general form, and send any required essays or supporting materials to the Biology Department at firstname.lastname@example.org by the March 1st deadline.
Aspiring Biologist Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville students majoring in biology who have demonstrated a commitment to a career in biology through participation in an internship or biology-related work experience are encouraged to apply. At time of application, applicants must have completed at least 30 credits and have a minimum overall GPA of 3.25. Recipients will be selected based on a written essay answering the questions: "What are your specific post-graduation goals and how has your internship or work experience in biology prepared you to meet your goals?" Essays should be 1250 words or less.
Chester and Susan Dziekanowski Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major with Botany or Ecology emphasis or Ornamental Horticulture or Reclamation major. At time of application, applicants must have completed at least 45 credits (must have junior or senior standing); have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5; and must have completed at least two upper-level Biology courses that demonstrate a strong interest in botany or entomology. Preference to students who have volunteer experience in the field of Botany.
Clement E. Miller and Viola M. Miller Biology Education Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major with Secondary Education emphasis. At time of application, applicants must have completed 60 credits; and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Preference will be given to students that have been active in any of the music activities offered on campus.
Craig J. Howard Biology Scholarship for Short-Term Study Abroad or Summer Research
- First generation student with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Must show some financial need. Students may apply multiple years. An essay should be submitted to the Biology Department, outlining how criteria have been met.
Dr. Mike Roy Biology Award
- Dr. Mike Roy Exploration Award: Current UW-Platteville biology major who has reached sophomore status at the time of application. Must have met one or more of the following criteria, in order of priority: (1) participating in a biology field course/experience through Biol 4710 Selected Regional Habitats or other biology field course/experience approved by the Biology Department, (2) participating in an international study abroad program, and/or (3) participating in an undergraduate research experience in the Biology Department. An essay should be submitted to the Biology Department, outlining how criteria have been met.
Elizabeth A. Duewer
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major or minor. At time of application, students must have completed 45 credits; must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0; and must have a minimum biology GPA of 3.25. Financial need is not a factor. Scholarship requires an essay to include your career plans and the steps you have taken so far to attain your goals. In addition, include any research you have done or any conferences you have attendd that are related to your goals.
Fiji Study Abroad Program in Biology Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville students majoring in Biology who plan to participate in our Fiji Study Abroad Program are encouraged to apply. At the time of application, applicants must have completed at least 30 credits. Applicants must have been full-time at UW-Platteville in the semester prior to application.
George Kettler Memorial Scholarship in Biology
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major. Preference will be given to students planning a nursing career or working in a laboratory to help discover cures for disease. Preference will be given to students that show financial need.
John Busby D.D.S. & Affiliated Dentist Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major. Preference will be given to students enrolled in the Dentistry pre-professional program. Other Biology majors enrolled in a pre-professional program related to health care can apply Preference will be given to students that have completed 60 credits by time of awarding and demonstrate financial need.
Pioneering Progress in the Fields of Biology
- Preference given to a non-traditional student majoring in Biology. Must have at least 30 credits earned and a GPA between 2.5 and 3.3. Emphasis is for a student who has a strong desire to attain an undergraduate degree despite academic hardships and show perseverance overcoming these obstacles during their education. Must demonstrate at least one of the following: volunteer work related to the field of Biology and/or involvement with campus and community activities.
UWP Biology Excellence Award
- Current UW-Platteville Biology junior/senior who has demonstrated outstanding achievements in Biology. At time of application, applicants must have completed at least 75 credits; have a minimum biology GPA of 3.5, and have participated in biology-related activities outside of the classroom.
UWP Biology Investigative Opportunity Award
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major and planning an independent research project. At time of application, applicants must have achieved sophomore standing or above. Applicants must enroll in at least one credit of Biology 4920, Independent Research in Biology. Applicant must provide a Research Proposal (five page maximum) to faculty sponsor for review and to Biology Department Scholarship Committee. For research proposal guidelines and application, see Biology Scholarship Chair, Gardner Hall.
UWP Biology Scholarship
- Current UW-Platteville Biology major or minor. At time of application, applicants must have a minimum biology GPA of 3.0.
UWP Biology Seed Award
- Current or incoming biology major or minor who shows financial need.