MN WI Reciprocity

CSS to Hide Title

Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity

A tuition reciprocity agreement exists between Wisconsin and Minnesota. This agreement stipulates that residents of Minnesota can attend Wisconsin institutions in approved programs and be assessed the approved reciprocity tuition rate, plus segregated fees assessed to all students. 

The deadline for filing an application in Minnesota is the last day of classes at UW-Platteville in the term for which you wish to receive reciprocity status. A certification year runs from the beginning of the fall Term and extends through the end of the following summer term. Reciprocity will be automatically renewed for a subsequent academic year for students who met the following conditions during the spring term of the previous academic year: enrolled for credit courses at UW-Platteville, remained enrolled beyond the 100% adjustment period, and paid reciprocity tuition. Students need to reapply for reciprocity if they were not enrolled at all during an academic year, or were enrolled but did not take advantage of reciprocity tuition because of an assistantship or third party payment contract.

Any student transferring from another eligible school must contact the Minnesota Higher Education Office to notify them they have transferred to another school.  The reciprocity agreement does not automatically transfer to the new school. 

Learn more about Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity from the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.

Please note: Minnesota residents must first apply to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (OHE) for verification of their eligibility for reciprocity. 

How to Apply for Reciprocity

Minnesota residents who wish to take advantage of Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity must apply for certification as a Minnesota resident to OHE. 

Visit How To Apply for Reciprocity to access the Reciprocity Application, apply online or to print/download the paper version. The Reciprocity Application may also be requested by contacting: 

Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108
Tel: (651) 642-0567 or (800) 657-3866

Wisconsin Residents

The Minnesota-Wisconsin reciprocity agreement allows Wisconsin residents to attend Minnesota public universities at in-state tuition rates. Learn more about Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity from the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB).

Wisconsin residents who wish to take advantage of Minnesota-Wisconsin Tuition Reciprocity must apply for certification as a Wisconsin resident to HEAB. Visit HEAB to access the reciprocity application or contact:   

Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
Reciprocity Program
P.O. Box 7885
Madison, WI 53707
Tel: 608.2672209