Please note that while we have attempted to gather as many event policies as we can, there may be additional policies, such as UWS Chapter 18: Conduct on University Lands, that apply to groups requesting use of university facilities. The Event Reservations staff will assist you in determining which policies might apply to your event.
UNIVERSITY SYSTEM POLICIES
UWS Chapter 21: Use of University Facilities is the policy most directly applicable to using space at UW-Platteville.
UW-Platteville's Implementation Procedures for UWS Chapter 21 can be found in the Delegation of Authority document under the Administrative Services page.
Events are classified into four categories as described in UWS Chapter 21. Those categories are:
- Organizations associated with UW-Platteville where no revenue is produced (21.03.1)
- Organizations associated with UW-Platteville where revenue is produced (21.03.4)
- Organizations not associated with UW-Platteville where no revenue is produced (21.04.1)
- Organizations not associated with UW-Platteville where revenue is produced (21.04.3)
All organizations, both associated and non-associated, may be required to pay rental charges for use of facilities where revenue is produced. Generally, room rental charges are based on category four, then a discount is applied to categories one, two, and three. These rates are:
- 100% discount
- 66% discount
- 100% discount
- No discount
Requests for facility use for events at university facilities will be taken no earlier than two years before the event date for organizations associated with the institution, and no earlier than 18 months before the event date for organizations not associated with the institution.
The following list of events; critical to the continuation of the university or traditional to a college campus, are not restricted to the two-year policy.
Critical to the continuation of the university:
- Pioneer Preview
- Paths to Platteville
- Tri-State Initiative Day(s)
- Student Shadow Day(s)
- New Student Registration
- New Student Orientation
- Career Fair
Traditional to a college campus:
- Family Weekend
Note: Due to state and university offices being closed on legal holidays, University facilities may not be available for use on those dates.
ALCOHOL SERVICE AT EVENTS
Under the authority of UW System Chapter 18.09(1) and the conditions described in the UW-Platteville General Policies Alcohol Policy, groups may request to have alcohol service as part of their events.
CANCELLATIONS / CHANGES
Groups no longer needing space they have reserved are responsible for canceling their reservations promptly.
University groups failing to cancel facility use twice during a semester will lose facility use privileges and will be responsible for any room rentals and incurred charges, if applicable. Non-university groups failing to cancel space are responsible for room rentals and any incurred charges. Groups will forfeit all room deposits as well.
A $25.00 fee is charged to all groups making significant changes to their requests less than two weeks from the date of their event. A $50.00 fee is charged to all groups making significant changes to their requests less than one week from the date of their event. A $50 fee is charged to all groups failing to cancel their reservation.
Reservations may be canceled by the University during inclement weather. The Event Reservations staff will make their best efforts to inform groups of a weather-related shutdown.
Due to the university’s policy concerning health licensing restrictions, University Dining Services has exclusive rights to provide food services at UW-Platteville.
Student organizations may provide prepackaged food items for meetings and events that have a value of $50 or less in the Markee Pioneer Student Center, with prior approval from the director of Dining Services.
Further exceptions of University Dining Services policies should be directed to the director of Dining Services.
CLASS USE OF STUDENT CENTER FACILITIES
Per the UW-Platteville Implementation Plan for UWS Chapter 21, UW-Platteville classes may only use Markee space, Nohr Gallery, and Velzy Commons for special events, such as poster presentations and senior design presentations, not conducted on a regularly scheduled basis.
Requests for the use of facilities beyond established hours of operation are made through the Event Reservations at least ten (10) business days in advance. Approval is subject to staff availability. The sponsoring organization will be responsible for additional cost and charges resulting from extended hours use.
FUNDRAISING AND SOLICITATION
To ensure a welcoming environment for the campus community and guests, fundraising and soliciting are restricted to specific locations.
- Distribution, solicitation, or fundraising will not be allowed outside of the designated space.
- Fundraising and solicitation for donations by student organizations require advance approval from the Pioneer Involvement Center (PIC).
Additional policies may apply, such as the Markee contact tables policy.
UW-Platteville provides parking on university property and enforces parking regulations through the University Police Department. Arrangements must be made to allow visitors to park in university lots for public events. Please let the Event Reservations staff know your parking needs when requesting facility use.
Parking along Main Street and Hickory Street, adjacent to Ullsvik Hall, is administered by the City of Platteville and enforced by the Platteville Police Department. To provide exclusive parking or to request parking restrictions, such as load zone only, on those streets, arrangements must be made with the City of Platteville.
POLITICAL CAMPAIGN ACTIVITIES
Political campaign involvement is strictly regulated on University of Wisconsin System campuses. The University of Wisconsin System provides guidelines on the use of campus resources for Political Campaign Activities including Guidance for UW Employees, Guidance for UW Students and Recognized Student Groups, and Political Activity on Campus. Please note; state law strictly prohibits the use of state-owned buildings for political fundraising.
The group listed on the event confirmation sheet is responsible for all charges. The group is also responsible for all damages caused by its members or by anyone attending the event. A $25.00 administrative fee may be added to damage charges. If an organization falsifies reservation information, their reservation privileges will be revoked.
- Reservations are not confirmed until the appropriate account number, deposit, or purchase order and authorization are obtained.
- Deposits and prepayment of estimated charges are required for non-university groups.
- Estimated charges will include equipment, labor, outside rental, taxes, and facility rental costs. Estimates are based upon information provided at the time of the reservation request. Actual charges may differ.
- Past due invoices must be paid in full before future events may be held. All charges are subject to state and local taxes, if applicable.
Event Services may require uniformed police officers and student security to be present at events. University Police assist in creating a safe and responsible environment for guests to enjoy.
- A safety assessment worksheet will be completed for high profile or high-risk events,
- The group is responsible for all costs associated with required event security, which will be billed as part of the event cost.
- Arrangements for event security may be discussed with Event Reservations staff during the planning process of the event.
Groups are asked to use the University Box Office services for their ticketed events. In the Center for the Arts and Ullsvik Hall, customers are required to use the University Box Office.
The University reserves the following:
- The right to change room reservations to maximize use of university facilities.
- The right to cancel or alter any reservation that conflicts with event policies or the educational mission of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
- The right to deny service to groups that have violated the State of Wisconsin, UW System, or UW-Platteville policies.