UW-Platteville Engineering Partnerships FAQs

Is this an online degree?

No, the electrical engineering or mechanical engineering degree you earn through UW-Platteville Engineering Partnerships is not an online degree. UW-Platteville Engineering Partnerships provides courses through a unique hybrid delivery that includes face-to-face and online courses along with hands-on lab experiences. Face-to-face courses are taught at UW-Fox Valley (ongoing in mechanical and electrical engineering) and UW-Washington County (only in 2018-2019 in mechanical engineering).

UW-Platteville’s engineering courses are recorded during live lectures and made available through Desire2Learn (D2L) within minutes of the conclusion of the class. Some courses will include a lab component that involves hands-on labs and simulations with guidance from faculty. Most mechanical engineering labs are held on Saturdays at UW-Fox Valley or UW-Washington County. Electrical engineering labs are often held at regional locations including UW-Fox Valley and UW-Platteville.

How long will it take me to earn my engineering degree?

The time required to earn your degree varies based on the number of transfer credits you complete, your initial math placement, the number of credits taken each semester, and your internship/cooperative education experience. You may complete your degree on a part-time or full-time basis.

What is the cost of tuition?

The cost of tuition will depend on how many courses you complete from each institution. General education courses and pre-engineering courses are often taken at institutions other than UW-Platteville. You will be billed the tuition and fees charged by the particular institution you are taking courses from.

When taking courses at UW-Platteville, you will pay tuition and fees for your professional engineering courses to UW-Platteville. Tuition does not include the application fee and lab supplies expense. For more information on UW-Platteville’s tuition and fees please contact cashieroff@uwplatt.edu or 608.342.1211.

What will my technology needs be?

You will need access to high speed internet. UW-Platteville issues licenses to Virtual Desktop (VMware) which enables you to access all software remotely.

What courses are offered at each institution?

UW-Platteville’s partner institutions, including UW-Oshkosh, Madison College, UW Colleges, and UW Colleges Online, offer general education and pre-engineering courses while UW-Platteville offers professional engineering courses.

What if I skip a semester of courses?

UW-Platteville requires that you submit a new application, re-apply, if you do not take classes during the previous semester.

When should I apply to UW-Platteville?

Prior to applying to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, contact Hattie Techlow, techlowh@uwplatt.edu, 920-832-2854, to discuss your intended major, specific courses that you have completed, and which UW-Platteville courses will be available for the upcoming semester.

If you are pursuing a degree in electrical engineering, you should apply during the semester you are taking Calculus I. If you are pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering, you should complete the majority of your pre-engineering courses before applying to UW-Platteville since many of the pre-engineering courses are prerequisites for professional engineering courses.

Do I need to have an associate's degree before applying to UW-Platteville?

No, you don’t need an associate’s degree before applying to UW-Platteville. In fact, if you wait to apply to UW-Platteville until after you have completed an associate’s degree, it will take you longer to obtain a degree in engineering.

What if I already have an associate's degree?

There are different types of associate’s degrees. An Associate of Applied Science does not satisfy UW-Platteville’s general education requirements.

An Associate of Arts or Science may be accepted if the institution has an articulation agreement with UW-Platteville. An Associate of Arts and Science from UW Colleges, UW Colleges Online, or Madison College satisfies UW-Platteville’s general education requirements. This degree may be earned at any point prior to graduating from UW-Platteville with a bachelor’s degree.

Can I take courses for both my associate's and bachelor's degrees during my final semester?

Yes, you can take courses simultaneously for both your associate’s and bachelor’s degrees during your final semester. The official transcript showing the earned Associate of Arts and/or Science degree must be submitted to UW-Platteville before the bachelor’s degree is granted.

Should I finish my general education courses before I begin the pre-engineering courses?

No, you should not finish your general education courses before beginning pre-engineering courses. It is recommended that you take general education and pre-engineering courses, not used as prerequisites to engineering courses, simultaneously to balance a semester with challenging engineering courses.

Are the UW-Platteville engineering courses available every semester?

All required electrical engineering courses are offered on a one-year rotation. All elective courses are offered on either a one-year or two-year rotation depending on the course.

The majority of mechanical engineering courses are offered annually on a one-year rotation.

Is there a curriculum plan for UW-Platteville engineering courses?

Yes, to view sample curriculum plans, please click on the following links:

Electrical Engineering Curriculum Plan
Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Plan

Can I take courses through UW Colleges Online?

Yes, UW Colleges Online offers many general education and pre-engineering courses as well as an associate’s degree.

What if I live closer to a different institution other than UW-Oshkosh / UW-Fox Valley?

You can take general education and pre-engineering courses through any accredited institution. When taking courses at another institution you should consider the following:

1. An Associate of Arts and Sciences degree from UW Colleges, UW Colleges Online, and Madison College automatically satisfies the general education requirements for UW-Platteville. If you choose to take general education courses at an institution that does not have an articulation agreement with UW-Platteville, each course will need to be evaluated individually. For more information on our transfer polices visit the UW-Platteville Catalog.

2. You will want to ensure that the desired courses will transfer to UW-Platteville as the required courses and not simply as electives. Just because a course has the same title it does not mean the same content is covered in each course.

Will my previous college coursework transfer to UW-Platteville?

Credits may be accepted from accredited two-year and four-year institutions recognized by the Council for Higher Education. Courses that are vocational, technical, remedial, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable. UW-Platteville’s transfer policy is that once a student is admitted Admissions will provide a course to course transfer evaluation.

What is TIS (Transfer Information System)?

The Transfer Information System is a web-based interactive program that allows University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Technical College System students and advisors to see how credits will transfer to any UW System or Wisconsin Technical College System campus.

The Credit Transfer Wizard is especially helpful to see how courses may transfer from one UW System campus or Wisconsin Technical College to another, and which general education categories they may satisfy.

Are there waivers or test-outs available?

Yes, if you have extensive training or significant practical experience, you may be able to waive certain courses or pursue test-out options.

Are there internships or co-op opportunities available?

Yes, there are internships and cooperative education (co-op) opportunities available to qualified students. You can find out about these opportunities through your academic advisor, faculty, UW-Platteville’s fall and spring career fairs, and the Career and Professional Development Office.

If I am an international student, can I join the program?

If you are an international student you must live in Platteville, Wisconsin, to complete an engineering program through UW-Platteville. You can review the policy for international students.