Collaborative Engineering Program FAQs

Is this an online degree?

No, the electrical engineering or mechanical engineering degree earned through the Collaborative Engineering Program is not an online degree. The Collaborative Engineering Program delivers courses through a unique hybrid of face-to-face and online courses along with hands-on classroom and lab experiences. Face-to-face courses are taught at UW-Fox Valley and UW-Rock County.

UW-Platteville’s engineering courses and a few engineering-related courses are recorded during live classes and made available through Desire2Learn within minutes of the conclusion of the class. Some courses will include a lab component that involves a mixture of hands on labs and simulations with appropriate guidance from faculty or a lab manager.

How long will it take me to earn my engineering degree?

The time required to earn a degree varies based on the number of transfer credits you receive, initial math placement, number of credits taken each semester, and internship/cooperative education experience. If you wish to complete your degree on a part-time basis it can take between six to ten years.

What is the cost of tuition?

The cost of tuition will depend on how many courses are needed from each institution. At UW-Fox Valley and UW-Rock County, general education courses and pre-engineering courses are taken. You will be billed the tuition and fees charged by the particular institution you are taking courses from. For more information on UW College’s tuition and fees please contact the business office.

When taking courses at UW-Platteville, you will pay the tuition and fees for your professional engineering courses to UW-Platteville. Tuition does not include any fees such as the application fee, transfer fee, individual course fee, consumable lab supplies expenses, etc. For more information on UW-Platteville’s tuition and fees please contact or 608.342.1211.

What will my technology needs be?

You will need access to high speed internet. UW-Platteville issues licenses to VMware which enables you to access all software remotely.

What courses are offered at each institution?

UW-Fox Valley and UW-Rock County offer the general education courses and the pre-engineering courses while UW-Platteville offers the professional engineering courses.

What if I skip a semester of courses?

Your institution may require that you submit a new application if you do not take classes during the previous semester.

When should I apply to UW-Platteville?

Prior to applying to the University of Wisconsin-Platteville, contact Admissions and Academic Advisor Jennifer LaTour at or 608.342.6135 to discuss your intended major, specific courses that you have completed, and which courses will be available for the upcoming semester.

If you are pursuing a degree in electrical engineering you should apply during the semester that you are taking Calculus I at UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County. If you are pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering you should complete the majority of your pre-engineering courses through UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County before applying to UW-Platteville since many of the pre-engineering courses are prerequisites for the engineering courses.

Do I need to have an associate's degree before applying to UW-Platteville?

No, in fact, if you wait to apply to UW-Platteville until after you have completed an associate’s degree, it will take longer to obtain a degree in engineering.

What if I already have an associate's degree?

There are different types of associate’s degrees. An Associate of Applied Science does not satisfy UW-Platteville’s general education requirements.

An Associate of Arts or Science may be accepted if the institution has an articulation agreement with UW-Platteville. An Associate of Arts or Science from UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County satisfies UW-Platteville’s general education requirements. This degree may be earned at any point prior to graduating from UW-Platteville with a bachelor’s degree.

Can I take courses for both my associate's and bachelor's degrees during my final semester?

Yes, if courses are being taken simultaneously at both UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County, and UW-Platteville during your final semester. The official UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County transcript showing the earned Associate of Arts or Science degree must be submitted to UW-Platteville before the bachelor’s degree is granted.

Should I finish my general education courses before I begin the pre-engineering courses?

No, it is recommended that you reserve general education courses and pre-engineering courses which are not used as pre-requisites to engineering courses in order to balance a semester with engineering courses.

Are the UW-Platteville engineering courses available every semester?

All required electrical engineering course are offered on a one-year rotation. All elective courses are offered on either a one-year or two-year rotation depending on the course.

The majority of mechanical engineering courses are offered on a two-year rotation.

Is there a long-range plan for when UW-Platteville engineering courses will be offered?

Yes. To view the Curriculum Plan collaborative engineering program students, please click on the following links:

Electrical Engineering Curriculum Plan
Mechanical Engineering Curriculum Plan

Can I take courses through UW Colleges online?

Yes, UW Colleges Online offers many general education and pre-engineering courses.

What if I live closer to a different institution other than UW Colleges?

You can take general education and pre-engineering courses through any accredited institution. When taking courses at another institution you should consider these things:

1. An Associate of Arts or Science degree from UW Colleges automatically satisfies the general education requirements for UW-Platteville. If you choose to take general education courses at another institution that does not have an articulation agreement with UW-Platteville, each course will need to be evaluated individually. For more information on our transfer polices visit the UW-Platteville Catalog.

2. You will want to ensure that the desired courses will transfer to UW-Platteville as the required courses and not simply as electives. Just because a course has the same title at one institution as another does not mean the same content is covered in each course.

3. Since the collaborative engineering program is a partnership between UW-Platteville and UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County, you will need to declare either UW-Fox Valley or UW-Rock County as a home campus.

Will my previous college coursework transfer to UW-Platteville?

Credits may be accepted from properly accredited two-year or four-year institutions recognized by the Council for Higher Education. Courses that are vocational, technical, remedial, or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.

What is TIS (Transfer Information System)?

The Transfer Information System is a web-based interactive program that allows the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Technical College System students and advisors to see how credits will transfer to any UW Colleges or Wisconsin Technical College System campus.

The Credit Transfer Wizard > Course Wizard is especially helpful to see how courses may transfer from one UW College or Wisconsin Technical College to another, and which general education categories they may satisfy.

Are there waivers or test-outs available?

Yes, if you have extensive training or significant practical experience you may be able to waive two pre-engineering courses or pursue the test-out option for other courses.

Are there internships or co-op opportunities available?

Yes, there are internships and cooperative education (co-op) opportunities available to qualified students who register with the Career and Professional Development Office.

If I am an international student, can I join the program?

If you are an international student you must reside in Platteville, Wisconsin to complete an engineering program through UW-Platteville. You can review the policy for international students.

EMS: Request Program Information

Request Information

Footer Anchor