Admission - New Student
Admission - Transfer Student
Admission - International Student
Areas of Emphasis
Objectives and Outcomes
Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
Senior Design Projects
Faculty and Staff Directory
Civil Engineering Objectives and Outcomes
Program Educational Objectives
Our goal is to provide students with a professional practice-oriented educational background that will enable them to enter and succeed in their future careers. Specific program educational objectives are that graduates of the Civil Engineering Program will be able to:
- Effectively and accurately, communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Successfully apply technical knowledge to solve engineering problems to satisfy client, industry and governmental requirements.
- Evaluate projects from a holistic perspective including some or all of the following: sustainability, environmental impacts, ethics, aesthetics, politics, historical perspectives, social impacts, technical needs, and costs.
- Make significant and innovative contributions in their professional endeavors.
- Become registered professional engineers.
Students graduating from our degree program will be competent in the following areas:
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
- Ability to design experiments, conduct experiments, and analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs.
- Ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global and societal context.
- Recognize the need for, and the ability to engage in life-long learning.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
The vision of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department is to provide the education and training to create citizen engineers who will be leaders in the civil and environmental engineering professions and in their communities. Citizen engineers are:
- Able to address technical and non-technical issues
- Attuned to the needs of their community and nation
- Able and willing to engage in public policy
- Appreciative of sustainability
- Innovative, but aware of risk
- Life-long learners