Admission to the School of Education
To apply for admission into the School of Education, you will need to complete and submit an application for admission during your freshman or sophomore year while completing TEACHING 1230 Introduction to Education or HHP 2320 Introduction to Physical Education and Health Promotion at UW-Platteville. You will be accepted into the School of Education once all of the requirements below have been met and the signed admission requirement form is received.
If you are a transfer student, you should apply for admission during your first semester on campus, but will not be eligible for admission until you have earned at least fifteen credits at UW-Platteville and have completed all admission requirements.
To be eligible for admission, teacher candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher.
- Successfully complete the Praxis Core tests (reading 156, writing 162, math 150)
Have qualifying scores on the following college entrance exams.
- ACT Plus Writing composite score of 22 or higher and a combined English/writing score of 20 or higher.
- ACT Test composite score of 23 or higher with a minimum sub-score of 20 in English, 20 in mathematics, and 20 in reading.
- SAT (effective 9/1/2016) with a minimum sub-score of 550 in mathematics, and 550 in evidence based reading & writing.
- SAT (effective 9/1/2015) with a minimum sub scores of 550 in math, 510 in critical reading, and 480 in writing.
- GRE with a minimum sub-score of 145 quantitative reasoning, 150 in verbal reasoning, and 3 in analytical writing on the current scale.- GRE with a minimum sub-score of 540 in quantitative reasoning, 450 in verbal reasoning, and 3 in analytical writing on the old scale.
Earn a grade of "C" or better in each of the following five courses:
- ENGLISH 1130 College Writing I
- ENGLISH 1230 College Writing II
- SPEECH 2010 Speech Communication for Teachers (recommended) or SPEECH 1010 Public Speaking (acceptable)
- TEACHING 1230 Introduction to Education or HHP 2320 Introduction to Physical Education
- TEACHING 2010 Educational Media Theory (or applicable substitute)
Have earned 40 credits in an accredited college of which 15 have been earned at UW-Platteville.
Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.65 or higher.
- Prepare an admission portfolio during TEACHING 1230 Introduction to Education or HHP 2320 Introduction to Physical Education.
Admission applications are only processed on the first of each month. You will be notified when your admission has been approved.