UoN Visa Information

Newcastle, Australia

A student visa is required for all students wishing to study in Australia.

Entry into Australia must take place within twelve weeks of obtaining the student visa, so students cannot apply for it more than three months prior to their departure.  

> Upon acceptance into the University of Newcastle, students will receive a Letter of Offer from UON.
> Once the offer is accepted, students will receive their COE (confirmation of enrollment) with visa related information from UON.
> All of the necessary documents that students need to apply for their visa can be found by visiting the Australian immigration website listed below.

Students will be given additional information and instructions upon acceptance into the program, but please note that the cost of an Australian student visa is paid out-of-pocket by the student and is not included in UW-Platteville Education Abroad’s program cost.  As of April 2018, the Australian student visa fee for U.S. citizens starts at $560.  For the most up to date information on the Australian student visa process and procedures, please visit the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship's website: http://www.immi.gov.au/students/

How do I apply?

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides comprehensive information about the different categories of student visas and the process to apply for a visa. All visa applications are lodged and assessed by them.

We are approved to participate in the Australian Government Streamlined Visa Processing initiative. This helps you by making the visa application process quite simple. It reduces paperwork and the time it takes for your visa to be issued.

What do I need to apply?

In general, you will need the below to apply for your student visa:

> A valid passport which will be valid for 6 months past the end date of your study in Australia.
> A Confirmation of Enrolment document, also known as a COE. We will send you this after you have accepted your offer.
> Funds to pay the fees and charges for your visa to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection.
> Medical checks or any other information that immigration request as part of your application.

Note: students pursuing medical related courses may be subject to an additional health screening due to the nature of study. If a student is instructed by immigration that this is necessary for their entrance into Australia, they will need to be seen by a Panel Physician.

More information related to Australian Visa Health Screening can be found here: 

Where can I get help with my Visa? 

Applying for a student visa can be a complicated process.

If you need help you can contact your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.

You can also contact an official University of Newcastle, Australia representative education agent in your country who can help you with your application to study with us, as well as your visa.

Please note UON cannot make representations to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Control with respect to visa applications or grievances of international students.

How much does it cost? 

Visa fees and charges must be paid when you lodge your application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), and are non-refundable.

You can use DIBP's pricing estimator to check the cost of your visa.

What are the conditions of my visa? 

You should familiarise yourself with the visa conditions for student visa holders.

Some examples of conditions are:

  • > You must update your Australian institution with your contact details and mailing address in Australia
  • > Maintain enrolment as a full-time student and maintain satisfactory academic progress in your studies
  • > Keep on track to complete your studies within the duration of your student visa
  • > Abide by work restrictions while you are studying

It is also important to note that once your student visa is issued, any change to your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) start date, your completion date, change of course or change of institution will be reported to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and could impact your student visa.

Can I work while studying in Australia? 

Most student visas holders can work in Australia up to 40 hours per fortnight during the study period, and unlimited hours during a formal study break or holiday period.

More information on work conditions for student visa holders.


Footer Anchor