Things to Consider
CSS to Hide Title
Things to Consider
Each student has their own wants, needs, and goals to consider when selecting an education abroad program. The Education Abroad office suggests that students ask themselves the following questions to help find a program that is the perfect fit:
• Is the country's location geographically significant for my major?
• Is the culture and current political situation of the country safe?
• Is there public transportation available to help me get around?
• Are there many international students? Are there many U.S. study abroad students?
• Who do I want to take classes with? Fellow international students or locals?
*UW-Platteville students can check out the Education Abroad by Major page.
Length of Program
• How much time can I afford to spend abroad?
Structure and Support
• Do I want/ need to be with a group, or am I mature and capable enough of going on my own?
• Will I be met at the airport?
• Is there an on-site coordinator?
• What all is included in the program cost? (Example: Does the program incur out-of-pocket costs, or is it an "all-inclusive" program?)
• How much is the cost of living?
• Is the dollar strong or weak compared to the currency of the country I am considering?
• Are there program specific scholarships?
• What form of living situation is the most cost-effective for me?
• How much does a flight cost to travel to the country I am considering?
• Do I need to arrange my own accommodation with the program? Am I comfortable arranging my own accommodation if needed?
• Who do I want to live with? With other students, a host family, or on my own?
• Is there a meal plan included in the program cost or available if I pay out-of-pocket?
• Are the people in the country or city able to speak English? How well?
Independent Travel and Excursions
• Is there on-site staff available to help me with my independent travel plans?
• Does my program offer any community service or volunteering projects?
Need more information or don't know where to start? See below for the Education Abroad Checklist to give you insight into what you should do!