Steps to Go Abroad
Students need to plan ahead for an education abroad experience (we suggest a full year in advance!), and while the process leading up to it can seem intimidating, be sure to follow these steps:
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your degree requirements so that you know what type(s) of classes you can take abroad.
- For students who don't already have a U.S. Passport, learn how to apply for one on the Travel Resources page and start the application process as soon as possible. U.S. Passports typically take six to eight weeks to process, so applying early is important.
- Make an appointment with an Education Abroad Office advisor to explore program options.
- Look through the Things to Consider page on the Education Abroad website for tips on how to choose the best program for you.
- Choose a program carefully and complete the UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application by the deadline posted online. To start an application now, click here!
- Apply for education abroad grants and scholarships. Learn about funding opportunities on the Financial Resources page and on the Education Abroad Scholarships page.
- Work alongside your academic advisor to get your international courses approved.
Submit all required application materials by the posted deadlines by carefully following the instructions provided in your online Studio Abroad account.
i. Applications materials will vary program to program, but generally include: a statement of purpose, application fee, an official transcript, 2 letters of recommendation (from a professor, academic advisor, and/or employer, etc.), course selection, accommodation application, and any forms required by the institution abroad. All the necessary initial application materials will be accessible via students’ UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application.
- Upon acceptance, confirm participation in the program by clicking the "Commit" button in the UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application. You will also need to complete several post-acceptance forms and materials.
- Apply for a student visa if required. Information on visa requirements will be provided by the Education Abroad Office or your program provider.
- Complete all required pre-departure orientation activities, including: booking a flight, paying confirmation deposits, attending necessary pre-departure sessions, and other requirements mandated by your institution’s education abroad office.