Steps to Go Abroad
Students need to plan ahead for an education abroad experience, and while the process leading up to it can seem intimidating, just be sure to follow the following steps:
- Make an appointment with an Education Abroad office staff member about programs of interest.
- Review the How to Choose a Program information for tips on selecting the right program.
- Choose a program carefully and start the UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application by the deadline posted online. To start an application now, start on the Apply page.
- For students who don't already have a U.S. Passport, learn how to apply for one on the Travel Resources page and start the application as soon as possible. U.S. Passports typically take six to eight weeks to process, so applying early is important.
- Meet with an academic advisor to choose courses and identify how the credits taken abroad can fulfill major, minor, general education, and/or elective requirements towards a degree in the U.S.
- Submit all required application materials by the posted deadlines by carefully following the instructions provided. Applications materials will vary program to program, but generally include: a statement of purpose, application fee, copy of an official transcript, two letters of recommendation (from a professor, academic advisor, and/or employer), course selection, accommodation application, and any forms required by the institution abroad. All of the necessary initial application materials will be accessible via students’ UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application.
- Upon acceptance, confirm participation in the program by clicking the "Commit" button in the UW-Platteville Education Abroad online application.
- Apply for education abroad grants and scholarships. Learn about some opportunities on the Financial Resources page.
- Apply for a student visa if required. Information on visa requirements will be provided by the education abroad program provider.
- Complete all required pre-departure orientation activities, including: booking a flight, paying confirmation deposits, attending necessary pre-departure activities, and other requirements mandated by your institution’s education abroad office.