Course

Course Number:BUSADMIN 5540
Course Name:Quality Management (Online)
Course Description:Provides an understanding of the tools, language, and techniques used in the field of Quality Management (QM). The history of the quality movement, major tenets of the field, theorists and their philosophies, and the use of basic tools of Quality Management will be covered in this course. The course focus will be project-based in a team environment.
Prerequisites:None
Level:Graduate
Credits:3
Format:Online
Program:Masters of Science in Organizational Change Leadership
Masters of Science in Project Management
Registration Instructions

NOTE: The information below is representative of the course and is subject to change. The specific details of the course will be available in the Desire2Learn course instance for the course in which a student registers.

Additional Information

Learning Outcomes
When you finish this course, you should be able to:
  • Recall the history of the quality management movement.
  • Identify the major tenets of the field of quality.
  • Use the numerous tools of quality management.
  • Understand the techniques associated with the quality philosophy.
  • Be aware of the unique vocabulary in the field of quality.
  • Identify the major philosophers of quality management and explain their beliefs.
  • Complete a team project in an efficient and effective manner.
  • Understand the various ways in which the quality tools, techniques, and philosophies work together to bring about data-driven decisions.
  • Use team roles and rules to strengthen the team process.
  • Look at processes and problems from a systems perspective.

Unit Descriptions
Units 1 – 3
Total quality management (TQM) is an in-depth philosophy that a business uses to maximize its competitiveness through continual improvement of the quality of the business's products, services, people, processes, and environment. Quality management provides numerous methods, procedures, and tools.

Grading Criteria
Your final grade in this course will be determined by the instructor, fellow students, and you. In the spirit of quality philosophy, this 360-degree evaluation methodology results in input about your work from various sources, not just the instructor. The breakdown is as follows:
Team Project:   50%
      Instructor evaluation--20%  
     Team evaluation--70%  
     Self-evaluation--10%  
Individual Assignments/Discussions:   10%
Content Team Assignments:   20%
Content Team Evaluation:   20%
TOTAL:   100%
Warning: 55% of your grade is determined by how your team members view your contribution and participation as a team member. If you do not contribute to all the parts for which the team is responsible, do not expect an A in the course. Most team members do not appreciate a lack of response from fellow team members and express it in their evaluations.
NOTE: Graduate students are required to complete the work listed above and a graduate project. To receive graduate credit, it must be done; furthermore, it must be done satisfactorily or your grade will suffer. This project is worth 10% of your grade and the grade for the rest of the work is worth 90%.
If the student evaluations are not seen as valid based on the instructor's observations they may be overruled by the instructor.

Footer Anchor