What: A free pantry/grocery service for students experiencing food insecurity
Who: All currently enrolled UW-Plateville students are eligible to utilize this service
When: Tuesdays & Wednesdays from 3 PM - 6 PM
Where: Glenview Commons, West Entrance
How: Students wishing to use the service should come during the scheduled open hours and bring their student ID. Pioneer Provisions is set up in a shopping-style format, so students can grab a shopping bag and take what they need. Volunteer staff will be present during open hours to assist with questions or special requests.
Hunger and food insecurity are a growing problem on college campuses. A December 2016 report indicates that 22% of college students surveyed have the highest levels of food insecurity and 48% of college students experienced food insecurity at least once in a 30-day period.* Even students on our campus struggle with not having reliable access to a sufficient quantity of nutritious food. A spring 2017 campus survey indicated that 44.6% of students on campus had experienced food insecurity at least once per semester.
Dubick, J, Brandon, M., Clare, C (2016, Oct). Hunger on campus. Students Against Hunger.
Lobosco, K. (2016, Dec.). There’s a hunger problem on America’s college campuses. CNN online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kinds of things can I get from Pioneer Provisions?
- Proteins (beans, tuna, peanut butter, etc.)
- Grains (pasta, rice, cereal, etc.)
- Canned and Dried Vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, etc.)
- Canned and Dried Fruits (peaches, pears, pineapple, etc.)
- Convenience Meals (soup, ravioli, etc.)
- Special Dietary Needs (vegetarian, gluten-free, etc.)
- Hygiene Items (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, feminine sanitary pads, etc.)
Since October 2017, limited fresh produce, fresh meat, and fresh bakery items has also been available.
Will I be asked to report my income or fill out paperwork to use Pioneer Provisions?
What if I need food, but I'm not available during the scheduled open hours?
How can I make a donation to Pioneer Provisions?
Through our collaborative partnership with the Southwest Wisconsin Community Action Program (SWCAP), Pioneer Provisions is also able to accept monetary donations. More information about this option will be available soon.
What types of items can I donate?
- Canned or dried fruit
- Pasta, especially whole wheat
- Cereal, especially whole grain
- Peanut butter
- Hygiene items, especially shampoo, soap/body wash, toothpaste
Unfortunately, Pioneer Provisions is not able to accept the following items:
- Homemade or home-canned items
- Open packages
How can I get involved?