Updating Tree-Ring Chronologies
Students in the TREES Lab have developed tree-ring collections at multiple sites in Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Maine to update existing chronologies developed at these sites in the 1970s and 1980s. The updated chronologies are being used to develop more robust climate reconstructions.
Funding source: Wisconsin Alliance for Minority Partipication (WiscAMP), UW-Platteville Scholarly Activity Improvement Fund
Publications (* indicates undergraduate student)
- Larson, E.R., Allen, S.*, Flinner, N.L.*, LaBarge, S.G.*, and Wilding, T.C.* 2013. The need and means to update chronologies in a dynamic environment. Tree-Ring Research 69: 21–27.
Presentations (* indicates undergraduate student)
- Cassie Jorgenson*, Jaime Teutschmann*, Gabriel Brownell*, Steven LaBarge*, Sara Allen, J. Elmo Rawling 3rd, and Evan R. Larson. 2014. Undergraduate research in the Tree-Ring, Earth, and Environmental Sciences Laboratory (TREES Lab) at UW-Platteville. Posters in the Rotunda, March 12, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Gabriel Brownell*, Brennan Waupoose*, Giselle Varrientos*, McKaylee Duquain*, and Evan R. Larson. 2013. Updating the Presque Isle River hemlock chronology, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Second American Dendrochronology Conference, May 13–17, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- Ben Gultch*, Thomas Wilding, and Evan R Larson. 2013. Updating the eastern white pine chronology from Devil’s Lake State Park, Wisconsin. Second American Dendrochronology Conference, May 13–17, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, Tucson.
- Gabriel Brownell*, McKaylee Duquain*, Giselle Varrientos*, Brennan Waupoose*, Sara Allen*, Thomas Wilding, and Evan R. Larson. 2012. Updating the Presque River Isle Hemlock Chronology, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. WiscAMP Annual Meeting, October 19, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Sara A. Allen*, Thomas C. Wilding*, Nicholas L. Flinner*, Colleen C. Smith*, James A. Markham*, Steven G. LaBarge*, and Evan R. Larson. 2011. On the trail of ancient trees: Dendrochronology in the North Maine Woods. Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, April 12–16, Seattle, Washington.