Current Graduate Students


Please check the academic calendar for registration dates.

Continuing graduate students may register online through their PASS Student Center. New students or students returning after an absence of one or more semesters cannot register online; they must complete graduate registration form. The School of Graduate Studies office will respond letting you know that you are registered for the classes listed on the form.

Payment of Fees

Registration will not be permitted unless your account balance is zero and all holds are removed. For further information, contact the Cashier's Office at 608.342.1211.

Course loads

For enrollment certification purposes, nine credits shall constitute a standard, full-time course load during the fall and spring semesters and five credits during the summer session. Six credits shall constitute a full-time course load during the fall and spring semesters for students receiving a graduate assistantship and for students enrolled in six or more credits of practicum. Three credits of a Thesis, Seminar Paper or Capstone Project, shall also constitute a full-time course load. This three-credit options cannot be applied for more than two semesters. Full-time status for other purposes, such as financial aid, may be defined differently.


Graduate students are allowed to register for up to nine credits during the fall/spring semesters and up to six credits during the summer sessions. In order to register for additional credits, (twelve credits during fall/spring semesters and up to nine credits during summer sessions and), students must have approval from their advisors. Approval may be sent to the School of Graduate Studies Office by mail, fax, email, or in person. Permission must include the student's name, semester, and the amount of credits allowed. A graduate student who wishes to add more than twelve credits for the fall/spring semesters and nine credits for the summer session will need the additional approval (beyond the advisor's approval) of Craig Wilson, Dean of the School of Graduate Studies.

Adding and Dropping a Course

Changes in your schedule can be made after your initial registration has been completed. Review the Drop/Add Policy for more information.

Independent Study

Students registering for an independent study class must complete an independent study proposal form, have it approved and forwarded to the School of Graduate Studies,, either before they register for the class. You may register for more than the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department. However, you may only apply the maximum number of independent study credits allowed by a department toward a master's degree at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Seminar Paper Research or Thesis Research

Students registering for seminar paper research or thesis research must have an approved proposal either on file in the School of Graduate Studies prior to registration. To obtain information regarding completion of a seminar paper or thesis please go to Karrmann Library-Writing for Graduate Students. If you have any questions, please contact your paper/project/thesis advisor.