Admission to the School of Education
To apply for admission into the School of Education, you will need to complete and submit an application for admission during your freshman or sophomore year while completing TEACHING 1230 Introduction to education or HHP 2320 Introduction to physical education and health promotion at University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
You will be accepted into the School of Education once all of the requirements below have been met and the signed admission requirement form is received.
If you are a transfer student, you should apply for admission during your first semester on campus, but will not be eligible for admission until you have earned at least 15 credits at UW-Platteville and have completed all admission requirements.
The School of Education has identified courses that may be taken only by teacher candidates that have been admitted to the program. Please review the list of teaching restricted classes and the health and human performance courses.
To be eligible for admission, teacher candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher.
or successfully complete the Praxis Core tests (reading 156, writing 162, math 150) or have qualifying scores on the following college entrance exams. Scores must be from the previous 10 years.
- ACT Plus Writing composite score of 22 or higher and a combined English/writing score of 20 or higher.
- ACT Test composite score of 23 or higher with a minimum sub-score of 20 in English, 20 in mathematics, and 20 in reading.
- SAT (effective 9/1/2016) with a minimum sub-score of 550 in mathematics, and 550 in evidence-based reading and writing.
- SAT (effective 9/1/2015) with a minimum sub scores of 550 in math, 510 in critical reading, and 480 in writing.
- GRE with a minimum sub-score of 145 quantitative reasoning, 150 in verbal reasoning, and 3 in analytical writing on the current scale.
- GRE with a minimum sub-score of 540 in quantitative reasoning, 450 in verbal reasoning, and 3 in analytical writing on the old scale.
- Earn a grade of "C" or better in each of the following five courses:
- ENGLISH 1130 College writing I
- ENGLISH 1230 College writing II
- SPEECH 2010 Speech communication for teachers (recommended) or SPEECH 1010 Public speaking (acceptable)
- TEACHING 1230 Introduction to education or HHP 2320 Introduction to physical education
- TEACHING 2010 Educational media theory (or applicable substitute). Not required for technology education majors and agriculture/technology dual majors.
- Agriculture education majors must complete TCHG 2010.
- Have earned 40 credits in an accredited college of which 15 have been earned at UW-Platteville.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.65 or higher.
- Prepare an admission portfolio during TEACHING 1230 Introduction to education or HHP 2320 Introduction to physical education.
Admission applications are only processed on the first of each month. You will be notified when your admission has been approved.
Teacher candidates who have been denied admission to the School of Education or to student teaching may file an appeal with the chair of the Teacher Education Committee. The committee meets once a semester in October and March. An application can be picked up in the Education Office of Special Programs (EOSP) in 134 Doudna Hall.
Exceptions to the established passing score on Praxis Core may be granted to no more than 10% of the total number of teacher candidates admitted to the program during each admission period. Because of circumstances and a limitation on the number of waivers permitted, no candidate is guaranteed a waiver.
A teacher candidate has an opportunity to be awarded only one waiver (e.g., a waiver on one part of the Core). To be considered for a waiver on one part of the Praxis Core, the student must have attempted that part at least three times and be within three points of the passing score.