Mathematics Learning Center
The Mathematics Learning Center (MLC) at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is a walk-in tutoring service located in 360 Gardner Hall. All tutors are capable math students in their third or fourth year of study. They can assist you with questions on homework and provide clarification on concepts. Tutoring is available for the following courses:
- MATH 1530 College Algebra
- MATH 1630 Finite Mathematics with Applications
- MATH 1730 Math of Finance*
- MATH 1830 Elementary Statistics*
- MATH 1930 Mathematical Explorations
- MATH 2450 Pre-calculus
- MATH 2530 Trigonometry and Analytic Geometry
- MATH 2630 Calculus with Applications
- MATH 2640 Calculus and Analytic Geometry I
- MATH 2740 Calculus and Analytic Geometry II
- MATH 2840 Calculus and Analytic Geometry III
*A tutor for elementary statistics is only available during select hours.
Additionally, tutoring is available for some upper level courses at select times. Check with the tutors for specifics.
If you are interested in working as a tutor in the MLC or ASC, you are encouraged to apply during the first week of each semester. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Location and Hours
Located in 360 Gardner Hall, the Mathematics Learning Center is open the following hours:
Monday: 8 a.m.–7 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m.–7 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.–7 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.–7 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
Sunday: 4 p.m.–8 p.m. (170 Ottensman Hall)
The mission of the Mathematics Learning Center is to provide you with a comfortable, supportive learning environment that encourages intellectual and personal growth.
- We offer mathematical support to all UW-Platteville students.
- We provide a study location that is convenient to your math professors. Since the MLC is located in the same building as mathematics faculty, we encourage you to ask questions of the tutors and/or go to your mathematics professor for help.
- We provide a comfortable, quiet space for individual and group study where technology and resource textbooks are available to support work.
Mathematics Learning Center Tutors
Elementary Statistics and Math of Finance Tutors
We have tutors that specialize in Elementary Statistics and Math of Finance. These tutors are not available at all times, but you will find them in the Mathematics Learning Center. View the schedule for Elementary Statistics and Math of Finance.
Location and Hours
Located in the Mathematics Learning Center, tutors are available at the following schedules.
Algebra Skills Center
The Algebra Skills Center (ASC) is an additional tutoring service located in 347 Gardner Hall. The tutors in the Algebra Skills Center can provide assistance for you in the developmental math courses (MATH 0012 and MATH 0015).
Location and Hours
Located in 347 Gardner Hall, the Algebra Skills Center is open the following hours:
Monday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. &12:00 p.m. -6 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thursday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The mission of the Algebra Skills Center is to provide a comfortable, supportive, learning environment that encourages intellectual and personal growth for students in mathematics. Tutors are available to aid students and further their conceptual understanding and procedural fluency in topics that are focused on developmental mathematics.
- Offering mathematical support to students who are enrolled in developmental algebra classes.
Rationale: Success in a student’s mathematics class is key to the retention of that student. This program offers free, drop-in help and support from tutors who are confident in mathematics and specialize in developmental mathematics.
- Offering a study location that is convenient to where mathematics faculty can support student work.
Rationale: Having a study space in the same building as mathematics faculty offices offers more than one resource for the students. This location encourages students to ask questions of the tutors and/or go to their mathematics professor for help on their questions.
- Providing a comfortable, quiet space for individual and group study where tutors are available to support work.
Rationale: It is important to offer spaces for students to study. As more students come to attend UWP, space for quiet study is at a premium.
Algebra Skills Center Tutors