Online Job Search
There are many online job sites that can serve as a valuable resource during your job search. Many job search sites require an up-to date résumé to complete a profile. Make sure job search sites you use are secure and credible prior to submitting personal information. Be aware that some job search sites require membership fees.
How to Search
When using large online search engines such as Google, narrow your search by including occupation and location. For example, instead of "Graphic Design," use "Graphic Design, Madison, Wisconsin." There are many job sites such as Monster that list thousands of jobs daily. Although these sites can produce solid job leads, the large number of users can make it a highly competitive environment. You also should consider state and regional sites, industry-specific sites, and professional networking sites such as LinkedIn. LinkedIn now has a job search and internship search.
CPDO recommends the following sites
- Pioneer Career Network (PCN): UW-Platteville has established relationships with employers looking to hire Pioneers. More than 10,000 full-time, part-time, internships and co-ops are listed annually.
- Student Employment Job Board - UW-Platteville Financial Aid Office.
- Riley Guide: Extensive list of job search engines organized by industry, job type and location.
- USAJobs or Go Government: Federal jobs and internships.
- Glassdoor: Career community site with extensive job list and provides information about careers, companies and salaries.
- Idealist: Great resource for careers at non-profit organizations.
- Goinglobal: Provides country-specific career and employment information (accessible only through on-campus computers for UW-Platteville students).
ZipRecruiter: Connected to 100+ job boards and allows users to know when hiring managers view their resume.
- Southwest Wisconsin Workforce Development Board
- Job Center of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
- State of Wisconsin-Employment
Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN—for Education Majors)
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville is not responsible for the content of linked pages.