- Career Search Resources
- Major & Career Exploration
- Your Career Timeline
- PCN Access
- Campus Interviews
- Employer Information Sessions
- Career Fair
- Résumé and Cover Letter Review
- Mock Interviews
- Professional Etiquette Event
- Internships and Co-ops
- Education Majors: Helpful Resources
- Graduate School Information
Did you learn to ride your bike the first time you got on it? Your answer is probably "no." Just like riding a bike, interviewing is a skill. It is rarely mastered the first time and by repeated practice, your interview skills can improve.
What is a mock interview and how do I schedule one?
Career and Professional Development Specialists will meet individually with students to conduct mock interviews. During the mock interview, the specialists will ask typical interview questions asked of college students or recent college graduates during interview situations. Feedback on what the student did well and on what areas need improvement will be provided.
Mock interviews are offered at no cost to students and students can participate in as many mock interviews as they would like. Mock interviews are scheduled for 1-hour in length. To schedule a mock interview, call the CPDO at 608.342.1183 or stop by 0200 Ullsvik Hall.
Checklist for Mock Interviews
Before the Interview
- Create a résumé and write a cover letter targeted for the specific job you are applying for. Then schedule a résumé and cover letter review at the CPDO. To schedule an appointment, stop by or call 342.1183.
- Schedule a mock interview at least one week in advance of your scheduled employment interview.
- Two days before your scheduled mock interview, drop your résumé, cover letter, and position description of the job you are applying at the front reception desk of the CPDO or email email@example.com. Ask that your materials are forwarded to the appropriate specialist.
- Review interviewing resources and practice answering various interview questions from the resources.
- Review the material on appropriate dress and determine what you will wear for your mock interview.
- Be prepared to ask the interviewer questions about the company and job/internship you are applying for at the end of your mock interview session, so research the company in advance to prepare these questions.
- The more you treat this mock interview like a real interview, the more beneficial it will be for you.
The Day of the Interview
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before the scheduled interview. Please be dressed in interview attire. Check in at the reception desk.
- Find a seat at one of the tables in the main waiting area. The mock interview will most likely take place in an interview room. However, there might be an exception and the interview may be held in a team member's office. The mock interview will begin when the specialist calls your name, your eyes meet, and your hand is extended.
- Plan on allowing one hour for the interview and feedback. Directly following the interview, the specialist and student will critique the mock interview session.
After the Interview
You're welcome to practice your skills at writing a thank you letter by sending the interviewer/career consultant a thank you. Information on writing a thank you letter is available on the Student Resources page.