This section outlines steps and procedures to assist students as they progress through the program. This timeline applies to full-time students completing the program in two and one half years. The sequence should remain the same for all students including part-time students. The pace may differ significantly. However, our intent is to provide an informative guide to use as a resource.


Applications are accepted at any time, however, a February 1st deadline is recommended for students planning to attend in the fall. A completed application must be accompanied by a current resume and the $56.00 application fee.

Prospective students must also contact all other higher educational institutions (including all undergraduate and possible other graduate work) and have their official transcripts sent to the Graduate Admissions Office. The address is printed on the top of the application. The reviewing committee will expect students to have maintained a 2.75 GPA or a GPA of 2.90 for their last 60 credits to be admitted into the graduate program.

A personal interview with at least one faculty member (usually done during faculty meetings) is required before final acceptance into the program. Prospective students must provide a resume at their interview that speaks to their educational-employment-experiential background. Those with a resume specifying two years or more of work experience in the human services field will be given preference. Recommendations are optional. The faculty will make the final recommendation on entry into the program. Admission numbers are limited to available Counseling Psychology resources.

Once an individual has been accepted, the student may opt to apply for a graduate assistantship. These assistantships are maintained and facilitated by Assistant Professor, Steven Benish. There are a limited number of assistantships and applicant placements are primarily based upon student interests. An assistantship can be renewed for each year of graduate school for full-time students only.

The application process for an assistantship involves a formal letter to Steven Benish explaining your interest in obtaining an assistantship. You may also include the location you prefer and reasons why you would like to work there. Formal letters should be submitted by February 1st for the following academic school year.

Academic Advising:

Upon admission into the Counseling Psychology program, a faculty member will be assigned to you as an advisor. You can then meet with him/her to design a Program Plan. A Program Plan is a document of all program course requirements in a spreadsheet format to provide a guideline for students when registering for classes. Note: Be sure to address any deficiencies from your undergraduate program at this time. Students may also change advisors if they choose to do so. However, it is recommended that students notify their former advisor of the change.

Elective courses can be in the behavioral sciences. They will vary according to the track chosen and the interests of a particular student. Electives must be selected with the approval of a student’s advisor and, in the case of transfers, the Counseling Psychology program faculty. Behavioral science topics may include graduate level courses in professional education and/or criminal justice.

The next step is to register for classes. Registration forms and catalogs can also be obtained at the registrar's office located on the 1st floor of Brigham Hall or in the Counseling Psychology office located in Warner 410. The necessary registration forms can also be downloaded at the Graduate Studies website.

For your initial registration, there will be three registration forms that will need to be completed. The Graduate Registration form (green sheet) allows you to register. It asks for identifying information and the courses that you would like to take for the specified semester. All of this information can be obtained from the course catalog. In addition, students who did not attend UWP as a graduate student the preceding semester must also complete the background information form (yellow sheet) and the Residency Information form (ivory sheet). Please answer all questions. Failure to complete information could result in your registration being delayed. Note:Submission of a registration sheet does not reserve a place in the course until fees are paid. Once you have completed the necessary forms, you may drop them off or mail them to the Registrar’s Office in Brigham Hall. For subsequent semesters, be sure to meet with your advisor and review your program plan before registering since all classes are NOT offered every semester. You will only need to fill out the Graduate Registration form (green sheet) when registering after your first semester. Note: Graduate students do not register at the same location as the undergraduate students; however, registration dates do apply. Students may also register up until the day classes start; however, seats may be limited or unavailable.

Student ID and Textbooks:

Student IDs, otherwise known as Pioneer Passports, can be picked up anytime after being admitted into the Graduate School. The Pioneer Passport office is located on the first floor of the Pioneer Student Center. The Passport office will have extended hours (until 4 p.m.) the first Monday through Thursday of classes. You will need your Pioneer Passport in order to check out textbooks, use the library, obtain financial aid, etc. If you happen to lose your ID, there is a $10.00 replacement charge to obtain a new one.

The Textbook Center is located in the basement of Doudna Hall. It will be open one or two days prior to the beginning of the semester. The Textbook Center will also have extended hours (until 7 p.m.) the first Monday through Thursday of classes.

Note to Commuters:

Try to arrive for your FIRST class meeting ONE HOUR early in order to pick up your Pioneer Passport and textbooks. If a book you need is out of stock, request that it be sent directly to your professor. This will save you an extra trip to the textbook center in Doudna Hall. You WILL NOT have another opportunity to go to either of these offices outside of normal business hours after the first week of classes.


The Graduate Council requires that each student seek admission to candidacy after nine credits and before the end of the following semester. Candidacy is the departmental approval that allows a student to pursue a master's degree. The application for admission to candidacy can be obtained from the Counseling Psychology program office. To apply for admission to candidacy, the student must provide the following:

  1. Recommendations from three professionals outside the department (i.e., previous employers, co-workers, etc.) who can address the prospective student’s potential as a counselor. These reference forms are also available at the Counseling Psychology Office.
  2. Submit an advisor approved Program Plan to the office program assistant for your file.
  3. Verify that all deficiencies have been removed.
  • Candidacy Recommendation Form
  • Application for Candidacy


Students must have Counseling Psychology program faculty approval to enroll in any Clinical Track course work (Practicum I, Practicum II, etc.). The faculty will consider the student’s demonstrated counseling skills, communication skills, appropriate personality characteristics, behavioral characteristics, and ability to establish counseling relationships and professionalism in making their decision.

You must first check with the department program assistant to ensure that you have been admitted to candidacy. You can then request to have your advisor bring you up for consideration for clinical work at a faculty meeting. After the meeting, you can check with the department program assistant to ensure that you have been approved for the clinical portion of the program.

You may then pick up a Practicum I approval card for registering. These cards are available from the department program assistant once you have been approved. This card needs to be signed by two Counseling Psychology faculty members in order to be processed.
• Prac Registry


A semester prior to your Practicum II experience, you may apply for your Practicum II placement. You may obtain a Practicum II application from the Counseling Psychology office. You may submit your top two or three choices for placement for each track. Requests for Practicum II must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the planned semester. You will be notified by the professor supervising Practicum II of your placement. Your supervisor will then hold a meeting where you will complete a Practicum II approval card that must be signed by two Counseling Psychology faculty members.


The following steps will help you prepare for graduation:

  1. Indicate Intent to Graduate –Obtain the appropriate graduation forms from the graduate office or the Graduate Studies website . These forms include: a) File for Master’s Degree form b) Comprehensive Exam Form There is also a $40.00 graduation fee that must be paid.
  2. File for Master’s Degree – this form is required to order your diploma, submit your name for publication in the commencement bulletin (including the listing of your thesis or seminar paper if applicable) and request publicity in your home newspaper. This form also generates the notification to your advisor of your intention to graduate. You must complete and return the File for Master’s Degree form by the tenth day of classes during your last resident semester. The School of Graduate Studies office will then respond by mail that they received the form and how it was processed.
  3. Meeting with Your Advisor – students are encouraged to have a meeting with their advisor to ensure that all requirements have been met. The following questions should be answered: 1) Are you in full standing? 2) Have you been admitted to candidacy? 3) Is your program planning form up to date? 4) Have you completed all the courses listed on your program planning form; or, are you currently registered to complete that course work? 5) Do all transfer credits appear on your program planning form? 6) Have you sent official transfer transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies?
  4. Respond to Deficiency Letter – After your file is checked by the School of Graduate Studies office, you will be sent a letter explaining what is needed to complete degree requirements, if any. Students must verify that if they receive a letter, each item is being fulfilled or taken care of.
  5. Taking the Comprehensive Examination – If you are not doing a thesis, contact those individuals you wish to write comprehensive examination questions. The School of Education Comprehensive Examination form must be completed and turned in within the first couple weeks of your last semester of coursework. If you are doing a thesis, enter the names of your thesis committee on the form.
  6. Pay $40.00 Graduation Fee – Students must pay a $40.00 graduation fee at the cashier’s office, 2nd floor, Brigham Hall. All indebtedness to the university must be cleared before graduation.
  7. Countdown to Commencement– This is s designated day each semester that is dedicated to completing all requirements for graduation. You should take note that this is predominantly for undergraduate students. You still need to complete a Comps form and a File for Graduation form. At Countdwon to Commencement you will be able to pay your $40.00 fee as well as order your cap, gown, and hood.
  8. After the Semester Ends – The School of Graduate Studies will re-check your file after grades have been posted. If you've completed all requirements, your degree will be awarded and you will be notified by mail. If you have not completed all requirements, you will be notified by mail that you did not graduate along with an explanation.

Footer Anchor