Student Support Services


The Counseling Psychology program faculty is committed to providing quality professional training for our students, fostering an atmosphere of respect, acceptance, mutual feedback, and in accordance with the APA Ethical Principles and the ACA Code of Ethics. Acceptance of and respect for cultural, gender, and individual differences are of the utmost importance.

Students will have the opportunity to confidentially evaluate their professors at the end of each semester. Students provide feedback on such areas as knowledge of subject matter, syllabus use, clarity and organization of teaching activities, activities/assignments relative to the purpose of the class, and suggestions for improving the teaching of the class.

If occasions arise where students feel aggrieved, both the department and the university provide for grievance procedures. While every effort will be made to resolve grievances informally, violations of student rights will not be tolerated.

**Students should take the following steps to register a complaint against a faculty or staff member of UW-Platteville's Counseling Psychology Program. **
Student Complaint → Instructor or Staff Member → Program Director: Dr. Karen Stinson →  Dean of College of Liberal Arts & Education: Dr. Elizabeth A. Throop


Karrmann Library

The Karrmann Library is a modern learning resource center that provides a diverse amount of information accessible through computerized indexes to the library's collections. A statewide interlibrary loan network and the library's Web network supplement these materials. The library's web page, accessible from the main UW-Platteville page, provides access to a wide variety of electronic resources available on the Internet, including "full text" articles. The library resources can be accessed either in the library or remotely from computer labs, residence hall rooms, offices, or homes. To facilitate use, the library contains several computer labs, a variety of study areas, reading rooms, and individual study areas; audiovisual equipment including listening areas, videotape and videodisc provisions; photocopy equipment; microform readers; and special collection areas.

To check out materials, students need to present their Pioneer Passport at the main desk of the library. Materials on reserve such as folders from professors or periodical materials on the first floor of the library may be checked out but cannot leave the building. In such instances, students may copy materials before returning them.

As a state system university, UW-Platteville has a reciprocity agreement with UW-Madison libraries. Students may check out books from UW-Madison library locations, however, it is encouraged to discuss details with UW-Platteville library staff.

Online Resources

UW-Platteville offers many links to databases, indexes, and Internet resources grouped by discipline areas that have been compiled by library staff. These resources can be accessed from the UW-Platteville library home page.

EBSCOhost serves a varied collection of databases, many of which provide full text. Databases include Academic Search Full Text, ERIC education database, Hoover's Company Profiles, Business Source Elite, MEDLINE, and more.

FirstSearch provides a collection of over 50 databases covering a wide spectrum of subjects in which coverage varies. Check the description of each database for details.
SilverPlatter includes indexes and abstracts for three different databases: Biological Abstracts (Biosis), Criminal Justice Abstracts, and PsychINFO.

InterLibrary Loan:

InterLibrary Loan (ILL) is a system for acquiring materials, not available at the Karrmann Library, from other libraries. Request forms can be filled out at the ILL office located on the 1st floor of Karrmann library or electronically at their website. The Karrmann Library is pleased to offer this web-based option for requesting material via ILL. Your request will be forwarded to the InterLibrary Loan department for processing.

Faculty, staff or students possessing a UW-Platteville Pioneer Passport may also remotely request materials through Interlibrary Loan. Faculty and graduate students may request materials available from Wisconsin libraries as well as out-of-state libraries. Library Support: If you have a question about finding information in the library or on the web, please feel free to ask one of our librarians by sending an email to

APA FormaT:

For many classes you will be expected to prepare papers in APA format. The following is a helpful web link for formatting papers.


Children's Center

UW-Platteville's Children’s Center provides childcare and educational opportunities for children (ages 2 through kindergarten) of UW-Platteville students and employees. The center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., during the academic year, interim periods, and summer session. A reduced fee is charged to student parents. The center also serves as learning lab for students learning about child development and early childhood education.

To request enrollment forms for the Children’s Center and further information call 608.342.1260.

Counseling Services

Professional counselors provide free, confidential, personal, and academic counseling to students as the need arises. Services are directed toward helping students develop competence and confidence, manage emotions, enhance relationships, make decisions, and improve coping skills as they strive to meet their educational goals and achieve personal growth.

Areas of assistance include emotional/social concerns, career assessment and decision-making, study skill development, stress management, and related issues. Tests and inventories are also available.

Counseling Services is located on the second floor of Royce Hall. Call 608.342.1865 for more information.

Foreign Student Services/Foreign Student Advisor

The Foreign Student Services office is located at 104 Royce Hall. Foreign student advisors are available to provide pre-admission information to prospective foreign students and to assist new students with airport pickup, housing, orientation, health insurance, and the registration process. Foreign students pursuing their studies may obtain information regarding general university requirements, campus and community activities, as well as personal counseling to alleviate culture shock, homesickness, and personal concerns.

The foreign student advisor acts as a liaison between students, their governments, and UW-Platteville, and assists students with interpreting federal regulations pertaining to their F-1 status, such as employment, taxes, travel, extension of stay, and transfer. For more information call 608.342.1854.

office of multicultural student affairs

OMSA facilitates interaction of persons of diverse cultural, ethnic, and racial origins with other constituencies of the university community. OMSA encourages diverse cultural programming by the Student Activities Board and provides assistance for student organizations, including ASIS, Black Student Union, Hmong Club, Inter Tribal Council, and RAZA United.

The OMSA office is located at 129 Warner Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 7:45 to 4:45. Students are encouraged to walk in and meet with an advisor, or call 608.342.1555.

Service for Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities provides auxiliary services, counseling, student advocacy, referral to appropriate sources for accommodation, and other services that complement the university's goals and objectives. Services are provided with the goal of assisting students with disabilities to maximize their educational experiences and opportunities, become integrated into the campus community, and maximize their independence. Services for Students with Disabilities is located at 116 Warner Hall, 608.342.1818.


An official transcript of a student's record may be obtained by completing the necessary paperwork through the Registrar's Office, 101 Brigham Hall, 608.342.1321,

There is a $10.00 charge per copy. Payment may be made using a credit/debit card from VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.

Requests for information concerning activities and scholastic records of students or former students of the School of Graduate Studies will not be released without the authorization for release by the person whose record is involved. Exceptions are made only as prescribed in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act - 1974.

All outstanding obligations must be cleared before an official transcript will be issued. It is the student's obligation to know that this record is clear.

Women's Center

Located at 151 Doudna Hall, the Patricia A. Doyle Women's Center is a drop-in and resource center on the UW-Platteville campus. Services include a resource collection of books, magazines, pamphlets, audio and videocassettes, informal peer counseling and referrals, and advocacy for meeting the needs of women on campus. For more information call 608.342.1453.

Health Services

The UW-Platteville Student Health Services provides a broad range of primary health care services to the campus community. These include acute health care for illnesses and emergencies, health and wellness promotion, and opportunities for students to participate actively in their own health care. Most health services are available at no charge to all UW-Platteville students who carry three or more credits per semester. Students are responsible for those expenses outside the Student Health Services (such as consultations with private physicians, referrals for specialty care if needed, x-rays, prescribed medications, and some laboratory work). A full directory of medical services provided on campus and in the community is available at the Student Health Services office. Physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses provide health care to students. Student Health Services, which is located on the second floor of Royce Hall, is open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 7:45 a.m.–4:15 p.m. The office is open on Wednesadys from 10 a.m.–4:15 p.m. To schedule an appointment for Health Services, or to receive more information call 608.342.1891.  A student health insurance plan that provides hospital, surgical, outpatient, and major medical coverage is available at a reasonable cost to students. Students are strongly encouraged to carry this health insurance plan or to arrange to be covered under other personal of family plans. Information concerning the student group insurance plan is available on campus and is sent to all registered students each fall. Enrollment details are available during registration or from Student Health Services.


Most graduate students choose to live in Platteville or in surrounding communities. There are many privately owned houses and apartment complexes available for students to rent. The Student Housing Office provides students with a list of current off-campus housing buildings, as well as lists of many specific rental opportunities in the Platteville area. The Student Housing Office is located on the first floor of Royce Hall. Please call 608.342.1846, for any questions you have regarding housing.


Graduate Students who are only on campus for evening classes do not need to buy a parking permit. However, a ticket will be issued if they park on campus before 4 p.m.

Students Residing Off Campus - Commuter Parking: Students residing off campus are eligible for a commuter parking permit. This permit entitles off-campus students to park in lots designated for commuter parking if a space is available. The permit must be displayed when using a commuter parking lot, or a citation will be issued for failure to display the parking permit. The use of residence hall or staff parking lots Monday thru Friday, between the hours of 8:00a.m.- 4:00 p.m., will result in a parking citation being issued.

Application Process:

The Commuter Parking Permit form may be downloaded on the Campus Police web page. All information must be completed. If applying by mail, your payment and a self-addressed, stamped envelope must be included. If you are applying for a hangtag and cycle permit, you will need to complete two forms. If you wish, you may apply in person at the University Police Office, 106 Royce Hall, during normal business hours. Please remember there is no warning or grace period. You are required to display the appropriate parking permit when classes begin. If a student's housing status changes during the school year, the original parking permit may be exchanged for the appropriate parking permit. Changes must be recorded with Housing and the Registrar's Office before a parking permit exchange will be completed. If you have any further questions, contact Campus Police at 608.342.1584.