EMS Ambassadors Program
The mission of the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science Ambassadors program is to introduce youth in grades K–12 to the exciting and world-changing fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Ambassadors focus on positive messaging about STEM fields in order to dispel common myths and misconceptions and provide accurate knowledge of STEM careers. They also serve as role models to inspire and encourage youth to pursue post-secondary education and seek additional opportunities for STEM exploration.
Ambassadors are current University of Wisconsin-Platteville students who are pursuing degrees in STEM fields. They receive special training about STEM messaging and how to create inclusive, hands-on activities. Ambassadors assist with K–12 outreach events on the UW-Platteville campus and travel to support community STEM events or to conduct special sessions or workshops.
Some of the on and off campus outreach that Ambassadors conduct include:
- Hosting a group or class of students on campus.
- Assisting at campus-sponsored outreach events such as the EMS Expo, Women in Engineering Career Day, EMS Prospective Student Visit Day, and Pioneer Previews.
- Presenting at community youth events.
- Presenting to school clubs and classes.
- Hosting information tables or booths at fairs and STEM festivals.
- Networking with alumni and corporate sponsors.
Do you have a STEM youth event coming up? Use our online form to request an EMS Ambassador at your next event.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a College of EMS Ambassador. Please read the following job description and complete the online application below to apply.
Ambassador applicants must:
- Be enrolled full time in an EMS major at UW-Platteville.
- Have earned at least 30 credit hours and completed at least one year of study at UW-Platteville.
- Be on good academic standing.
- Have the ability to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds and populations in an inclusive manner.
- Provide a reference from a UW-Platteville faculty or staff member.
- Consent to and pass a criminal background check.
The following items will be considered assets for applicants:
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and eligibility to drive a university vehicle.
- Experience working with younger students in a teaching, mentoring, tutoring, or outreach capacity.
A College of EMS Ambassador must:
- Attend a mandatory training session.
- Attend regular EMS Ambassador team meetings.
- Travel to events within a 100-mile radius of Platteville.
- Participate in three to five events each semester (approximately 30–35 hours, including planning and travel).
- Assist in developing and maintaining connections with community organizations and schools.
- As part of a team, develop and deliver inclusive STEM-related outreach activities for students in grades K–12.
- Provide inclusive messaging and accurate information about STEM fields.
- Behave ethically and in such a way as to represent UW-Platteville in a professional, positive manner.
- Act as an appropriate role model by being responsible, trustworthy, and genuine in your interactions.
- Share your personal experiences and stories about your educational and career paths.
- Participate in alumni and corporate networking events as a student representative of the College of EMS.
As a College of EMS Ambassador, you will:
- Earn $9.50 per hour.
- Develop superior public speaking and presentation skills.
- Develop exceptional leadership skills.
- Be part of a supportive team of peers.
- Contribute to the future of the STEM fields and demonstrate this commitment to future employers.
- Break stereotypes and demystify the STEM fields.
- Have the opportunity to impact younger students’ future and gain experience working with younger audiences.
Ready to apply to be a College of EMS Ambassador? To apply, using the online form.