Student FAQs

Students on campus

This page is designed to answer some of the questions students often have when taking one of UW-Platteville’s College Writing Courses.  We hope you find the answers you’re looking for.  Please keep in mind that the resources here are not intended to substitute for the policies outlined in your instructor’s syllabus.  When in doubt, it is always best to ask your instructor about her or his specific policies.

What is the placement procedure for English-10, English 1130, and English 1230?

All entry-level students in The University of Wisconsin System take a placement exam for English, and your score on this exam is one factor in determining which first-year writing course you should enroll in.

The format and structure of the placement exam is such that most students would benefit from study and preparation.  A sample placement test is available at the following link:

Are there alternative ways of receiving credit for English 1130 and/or English 1230?

If you have tested for college credit through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Advanced Placement (AP) Examination Program, you may have already earned credit for English 1130.  It is your responsibility to have your scores sent directly to the Admissions office of UW-Platteville.  When your scores have been processed, your transcript will show the courses for which college credit has been awarded.  Please call the Admissions office at 608.342.1125 if you have questions.

You may also take a written test-out exam for placement into English 1230, for which there is a non-refundable $50 fee.  For further details, please contact Sara Koeller, English Program Assistant, at or by phone at 608.342.1826.

Can I enroll in a section whose enrollment is currently closed?

In most cases, no.  Initial enrollment caps are determined by the university Registrar’s Office, based on overall enrollments in all Freshman Composition sections, and individual sections never exceed 24 students.  Instructors and the director of composition and/or humanities department chair may make an exception in extraordinary cases—for example, if a student is a senior who needs the course to graduate that term—but such cases are rare.  If you believe your circumstances should qualify you for such an exception, the first step to take is to talk to the section’s instructor about your specific situation.    

Where can I get a copy of Stylus: An Anthology of College Writing?

Stylus, a required text for all College Writing I & II coursesis available for purchase ($12) at the University Bookstore in the Markee Pioneer Student Center (NOT the Textbook Center).


Footer Anchor