Is this an "online" degree?

No. An electrical engineering degree or a mechanical engineering degree earned through UW-Platteville is not an “online” degree. UW-Platteville Collaborative Engineering delivers courses in two ways to meet the needs of place-bound students and working adults who cannot take courses on the UW-Platteville campus in Platteville, Wisconsin.

UW-Platteville Collaborative Engineering courses are delivered in the following ways:

  • Face-to-face classroom ~ UW-Platteville engineering faculty and lecturers teach face-to-face engineering courses on the following UW Colleges campuses:
    • UW-Fox Valley
    • UW-Rock County
    • UW-Washington
  • Distance technology ~ The UW-Platteville engineering courses and a few engineering-related courses are recorded during live classes and then made available via UW-Platteville’s online course management system within minutes of the conclusion of the class. For courses which include a lab component, the lab experiences are the same for the collaborative program students as on campus students with a mixture of hands on labs and simulations with appropriate guidance from faculty or a lab manager. Students enrolled in a distance technology (i.e., streaming video) course must adhere to the same schedule as the students enrolled in the classroom section from which the lecture is being recorded.


What will my technology needs be?

Students will need access to a high speed Internet connection. UW-Platteville issues licenses to VMware which enables the students to access all software remotely

How long will it take to complete an engineering degree?

The time required to earn a degree depends upon several factors: number of credits transferred, initial math placement, number of credits taken each semester, and internship/cooperative education experience. For students wishing to complete an engineering degree on a part-time basis, it can take between six and ten years.

How much will it cost?

The answer depends upon how many courses are needed from each institution.

  • UW Colleges - the general education courses and the pre-engineering courses are taken at the UW Colleges.  Thus the student will be billed the tuition and fees charged by the particular UW Colleges campus from which the student takes courses.

    For more information on UW Colleges tuition and fees please contact the business office.

  • UW-Platteville - Students enrolled in UW-Platteville courses will pay the tuition and fees for any courses provided by UW-Platteville (e.g., the professional engineering courses). The figures do not include any applicable UW-Platteville fees (e.g., application fee, transfer fee, individual course fee, consumable lab supplies expenses, etc )

    For more information please contact cashieroff@uwplatt.edu I 608.342.1211

Which institution offers which classes?

  • UW Colleges offers the general education courses and the pre-engineering courses.
  • UW-Platteville offers the professional engineering courses.

Must I take all the pre-engineering courses listed on the program balance sheet?

Yes, students are required to take all the pre-engineering courses listed on the Electrical Engineering program balance sheet or Mechanical Engineering program balance sheet. Some of the pre-engineering courses are available through UW Colleges

What if I don't take a UW Colleges course during one semester?

UW Colleges requires students to submit a new application if they do not take classes during the previous semester.

When should I apply to UW-Platteville?

Before applying to UW-Platteville, students should contact the Collaborative Engineering Administrative Assistant at techlowh@uwplatt.edu since several factors determine which semester a student should apply to UW-Platteville (e.g., the student’s chosen major, which specific courses have been completed, and which courses will be available during the upcoming semester).

  • Electrical engineering students are "dual-enrolled" in both institutions and "partner" the pre-engineering courses at UW Colleges with the UW-Platteville engineering courses for several semesters. They usually apply to UW-Platteville during the semester which they are taking Calculus I. The subsequent semester, students take Calculus II at the UW Colleges campus and Circuit Modeling I through UW-Platteville.
  • During a student's first semester with UW-Platteville, a student can only take one electrical engineering course: EE 1210 Circuit Modeling I which is the foundation course for the entire electrical engineering program.
  • To "balance" the workload, it is advisable to take one electrical engineering course with a pre-engineering course or a general education course. Students may wish to map out which pre-engineering courses are not used as prerequisites for other courses (e.g., EGR 282 Engineering Economy) and save them for future semesters.

Note: If you plan to only take on course per semester, you may wish to finish most of the pre-engineering courses at UW Colleges first before applying to UW-Platteville since UW Colleges requires students to submit a new application if they did not take classes during the previous semester.

  • Mechanical engineering students complete the majority of the pre-engineering courses through UW Colleges before applying to UW-Platteville since many of the pre-engineering courses are prerequisites for the UW-Platteville engineering courses. It is recommended that the general education courses are taken throughout the student’s educational career so as to “balance” the workload of the rigorous professional engineering courses.

Do I need to complete my associate degree before applying to UW-Platteville?

No, in fact, if a student waits to apply to UW-Platteville until after the student completes the associates degree, the student will lengthen the time it takes to obtain an engineering degree.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

It is recommended that students reserve general education courses and pre-engineering courses which are not used as pre-requisites to other courses (e.g., EGR 282 Engineering Economy) in order to “balance” a semester with engineering courses.

Can I take courses for both my associate’s and bachelor’s degrees during my final semester?

 Yes.  If courses are being taken simultaneously at both UW Colleges and UW-Platteville during the student’s final semester, the final official UW Colleges transcript showing the earned associate of arts or science degree must be submitted to UW-Platteville before the bachelor’s degree from UW-Platteville is granted.

Should I finish my general education courses before I begin the pre-engineering courses?

No, in fact, if a student waits to apply to UW-Platteville until after the student completes the associates degree, the student will lengthen the time it takes to obtain an engineering degree.

It is recommended that students focus on the pre-engineering courses first with the math sequence being a very important sequence to begin as soon as possible. It is also recommended that students save some of their general education courses and pre-engineering courses that are not prerequisites to other courses (e.g., EGR 282 Engineering Economy) to “balance out” some of their upcoming semesters.

Will all of the UW-Platteville engineering course be available every semester?

For Electrical Engineering, all required courses are offered on a one-year rotation. All elective courses are offered on either a one-year or two-year rotation depending on the course.

For Mechanical Engineering, the majority of courses are offered on a two-year rotation.

Is there a long-range plan for when UW-Platteville engineering courses will be offered?

Yes. To view the Curriculum Plan collaborative engineering program students, please click on the following links:

May I take courses through UW Colleges online?

Yes. UW Colleges Online offers many general education and pre-engineering courses. For more information, please visit http://online.uwc.edu/.

What if I live closer to a different institution other than UW Colleges?

Students may take general education courses and pre-engineering courses through any accredited institution. However, it is strongly recommended that students contact the Collaborative Engineering Program Admiistrative Assistant at techlowh@uwplatt.edu before they register for a class. There are three facets to consider:

  1. General education requirements ~ An Associate of Arts and Sciences degree from UW Colleges automatically satisfies the general education requirements of UW-Platteville. If students choose to take general education courses at an institution which does not have an articulation agreement with UW-Platteville, each course will need to be reviewed individually. For further information, please refer to the Transfer Policies in the UW-Platteville Catalog.
  2. Pre-engineering courses ~ Students will want to ensure that the desired courses will indeed transfer to UW-Platteville as the required courses and not simply as electives. Just because a course has the same title at one institution as another does not necessarily mean that the same content is covered in each of the courses.
  3. Professional engineering courses ~ Since the partnership is between UW-Platteville and UW Colleges, students must declare one of the thirteen UW Colleges campuses as their “home” campus.
    1. Labs ~ UW-Platteville is known for their lab-rich courses, thus many of the professional engineering courses include a lab component. For students taking a streaming video course, a lab manager will visit the student’s “home” UW Colleges campus on a regularly scheduled basis to facilitate the required lab work. Please note: There are some upper-level courses which may require students to travel to a specific UW System campus in order to utilize the necessary laboratory equipment to accomplish the course learning objectives.
    2. Textbooks ~ When enrolled in a UW-Platteville course, textbooks are issued to students by the UW-Platteville textbook rental system. Before the beginning of each semester, textbooks are delivered to the UW Colleges campus designated by the students as their “home’ institution, and upon the completion of each semester, the textbooks must be returned either to the UW Colleges campus or directly to the UW-Platteville Textbook Center. Textbooks cannot be delivered to a student’s home address.

What if I have an associate degree?

There are different types of associate degrees.

  • Associate of applied science ~ This type of degree does not satisfy UW-Platteville’s general education requirements. Courses that are vocational, technical, remedial or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.
  • Associate of arts or sciences ~ To learn which campuses have a specific articulation agreement with UW-Platteville, please refer to the Transfer Policies in the UW-Platteville Catalog.
  • Associate of arts and sciences from UW Colleges ~ This type of degree satisfies UW-Platteville’s general education requirements. The associate of arts and sciences degree from UW Colleges may be “earned” at any point prior to graduating from UW-Platteville with a bachelor’s degree. In other words, it is not necessary to have earned the associate of arts and sciences degree before applying to UW-Platteville. In fact, it is highly recommended that you “balance” your semesters with professional engineering courses and general education courses.

What is TIS (Transfer Information System)?

The Transfer Information System (TIS) is a web-based interactive program that allows University of Wisconsin System (UW) and Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) students and advisors to see how credits will transfer to any UW or WTCS campus.

The “Credit Transfer Wizard” > “Course Wizard” is especially helpful to see how courses may transfer from one UW or WTCS institution to another, plus which general education categories they may satisfy.

Please explore the FAQs and Wizard Tutorials section to learn how to best utilize the website for your needs.

Will my previous college coursework transfer to UW-Platteville?

Credits may be accepted from properly accredited two- and four-year institutions recognized by the Council for Higher Education. Courses that are vocational, technical, remedial or doctrinal in nature are not transferable.  Click here for more information.  

Are there waivers or test-outs available?

Yes. Students with extensive training or significant practical experience may be able to waive two pre-engineering courses or pursue the test-out option for other courses. Please note: Many engineering courses are calculus-based and contain significant design components. For more information, please send your request to CollaborativeEngr@uwplatt.edu.

Are there internships or co-op opportunities?

Yes. There are internship and cooperative education (co-op) opportunities available to qualified students who register with the UW-Platteville Career Center.

Can international students participate in the Collaborative Engineering Program?

International students must physically reside in Platteville, Wisconsin to complete an Engineering Program through UW-Platteville.  For more information click here.  



Footer Anchor