Students who declare a business administration or accounting major must complete a 3.0 credit internship to graduate if they declared:
- A business administration major in Fall 2001 or later OR
- An accounting major in Fall 2007 or later.
To apply for an internship, students must:
- Have completed at least 60 credits AND
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
- Attend an internship information meeting (one is offered each semester at which sign-in is required)
To qualify as an internship for credit, a potential job opportunity must:
- Be clearly linked to the student's business administration or accounting education.
- Require a university education on the job description or to perform job duties.
- Begin after the internship application has been approved.
- Require at least 80 hours of work. (240 hours are required for 3 credits.)*
- Require at least 20 hours of work per week.
- Be a paid position if it is with a for-profit employer.
In addition, the job must not be with a business owned or run by the student’s family member and must not be supervised by a family member.**
- Every 80 hours of internship work qualifies for 1 credit. Students must complete 240 hours of internship work to complete the required 3 credits.
- Students may enroll in a maximum of 6 additional college credits during the semester of the internship. Many students do not take any additional credits, which is acceptable.
*Federal/state rules require students using financial aid for internship credits to work additional hours
**or an individual with whom the student has a very close personal relationship