Below are some frequently asked questions about New Student Experience at UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County.
Signing up for NSE
How do I sign up for NSE?
You must complete your Intent to Enroll form before you can reserve your spot to attend New Student Experience. Placement tests do not need to be completed to register for NSE. To sign up for NSE:
- Log into your PASS account.
- Open Menu Bar.
- Select “Reserve a Date” in the left-hand navigation.
- Refer to this guide if you have additional questions.
I can’t access the NSE reservation system. Why is this happening?
There are several reasons why you may not able to make your NSE reservation. One of the most common is that you have not yet completed your Intent to Enroll form. If you have completed this step and are still having issues, please contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.897.5288.
Programming for NSE
Will New Student Experience be held in person or virtually?
- For the health and safety of our campus community, we are currently planning New Student Experience to be held virtually for summer 2021, including advising and registration. We will assess the safety of holding an in-person Orientation and Welcome Week, and update you frequently throughout the process.
What will happen during online New Student Experience?
Your New Student Experience will include:
- Live Zoom sessions with current students to learn more about campus.
- An online course hosted in Canvas with material to complete.
- An advising appointment to register for classes. Please note, you must complete the UW System Placement Tests.
- Continued orientation and engagement experiences, hosted through Canvas, social media, and more!
New Student Experience for Parents and Families will include:
- Question and answer sessions over Zoom with campus offices, such as Dining Services, Residence Life, Financial Aid, and more!
- Communications about campus resources, supporting your student, and more, delivered through email, social media, and the NSE website.
Will there be a fee for online NSE?
- The New Student Experience fee is $75 and will appear on your semester billing statement. This fee covers materials, mailings, student staff, and Welcome Week activities in the fall.
Advising and Class Registration
How do I choose my fall classes?
- To make sure you are ready to register for classes, you will need to complete all the required steps before meeting with your advisor, including taking your placement tests and completing the required modules in the Canvas course.
- Next you will schedule an appointment with your advisor, who will discuss your general education and major requirements, as well as your placement test scores.
- During that appointment, you will discuss your choices and receive a PIN, which will allow you to register for your fall classes in PASS.
Where can I find more information about course registration?
- The online Canvas course that you must participate in will provide information about general education and major requirements, as well as how to use the enrollment tools.
I do not have reliable internet access where I live. How will I be able to complete NSE online?
- We are committed to providing a high quality NSE experience to all new students. Please complete the accommodation questionnaire and a member of our team will contact you to discuss your technology needs.
What kind of computer should students have?
Please see the chart below for suggested specifications for laptops:
|Processor||RAM||Operating System||Storage Space|
|Intel i5 or equivalent (AMD Ryzen 3)||8 GB||Windows, Mac, Linux||500 GB+|
Many students use computer labs or virtual desktops to access major-specific or advanced software. The virtual desktop allows students to use campus software on their personal device as if they are on a campus computer.
As part of your student’s Office 365 account, they have access to five free MS Office licenses to use on personal devices as long as they are enrolled at UW-Platteville. These can be accessed when your student can access their UW-Platteville email account.
The College of EMS provides additional computer recommendations for their students. Please review their document here.
Students – You can find additional information by accessing our KB document located at ITS FAQ - NSE 2021 (Branch campuses).
Will there be any in-person programming in the fall to help me get to know campus?
- Yes! Every year, we welcome new and returning students with our Welcome Week programming. More information about Welcome Week will come later this summer. This year we are planning on increasing our offerings to help you connect to campus resources, explore your campus and surrounding areas, and build community with fellow students.
Will there be virtual campus tour options available?
- The Office of Admission Welcome Center offers virtual campus tours designed to showcase the wide array of opportunities, programs, and services available at UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County.
Will I be charged for testing?
Yes, all students are charged a $30 fee on their fall tuition bill for the UW System Placement exams. The fee is charged regardless of whether the exam is taken or not.
Once I register, how long do I have to take the test?
Once you’ve registered and received a username and password from Scantron, you have 180 days to complete any tests. After that you will need to re-register for the exams.
I’ve lost my exam log-in information, what should I do?
If you can’t remember your log-in information, you will need to contact the UW-System Placement Testing office at 608.262.5863.
How do I request accommodations for testing?
- Accommodations are already included for additional time and large print. If you need other accommodations, please follow the instructions found at https://exams.wisc.edu/placement/regionaltesting/specialaccommodations.php.
How long will the placement exams take?
- The exams will be available on demand and you do not need to complete all of your exams in one sitting. You are provided five (5) hours to take each exam. If you leave or log out of a test before finishing, you should log back in and the system will remember how much time was remaining. Upon completing a test, you must submit the exam in order for us to receive your scores.
- You will have access to all five tests–English, math, and three world languages–for testing. UW-Platteville Baraboo Sauk County requires English and math. The World Languages (Spanish, German or French) exam is optional. You should plan to take the World Languages exam if you will be continuing a study of a language or to pursue retroactive credit while you are a student at UW-Platteville.
- It is important that after each test, you submit your answers to Scantron. Failure to submit your answers could result in a delay of transmission of these scores to the university and the opportunity to schedule your academic advising appointment.
When should I take the tests?
- New students for fall 2021 may register for the tests beginning March 15, 2021.
- Once you’ve registered, and received a username and password from Scantron, you have 180 days to complete any tests. After that you will need to re-register for the exams.
- It is recommended that you complete the English, Math, and optional world language exams no later than Thursday at noon (12 p.m.) central time for your campus advisor to receive your scores the following week.
- Tests should be completed at least 2 weeks prior to your advising appointment to allow for processing.
What technology do I need to have to take the exams?
- If you are concerned about meeting these technology needs, please complete the accommodations questionnaire and a member of our team will contact you to discuss your technology needs.
How soon after I register for the Placement Exams will I receive information about the online tests?
Within two business days of registering, you will receive an email from Scantron with a username and password for accessing the exams.
What if I have technical difficulties during the test?
Scantron will provide telephone and email support to students during testing. Scantron staff will be available on Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time, Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time, excluding holidays. Voicemail will accept student inquiries outside of these business hours.
When will my scores be available?
Your scores will be shared with you during your academic advising appointment.
Why is it important to take the placement exams seriously?
The UW-System Placement Tests have been shown to be very good at determining what math and English courses a student should take. Please be sure to use the knowledge that you currently have to answer the questions. Using outside resources could result in you placing into classes for which you are not prepared.
What if I cannot take my placement tests before my academic advising appointment?