Admitted Transfer Student Guide

Admitted Transfer Student Guide

This guide walks you through the steps you will need to complete after admission, leading up to the start of classes. If you are interested in transferring to UW-Platteville or are still in the admission process, please see the transfer admissions page.

We are excited to welcome you to UW-Platteville. To help you have a smooth transition to campus, we have prepared a guide to help you understand the tasks you will need to complete before the start of classes, as well as the campus resources you will use to complete them. If you have any questions about where you are in the process or need clarification on the steps below, please reach out to Academic Support Programs at 608-342-1081 or

We strongly encourage you to attend Transfer Student Orientation!

The university will contact you with steps to follow by the middle of the semester prior to your enrollment. One of these contacts will include a temporary user name and password. You will need these to complete the steps below.

Clicking on a step below will take you to the section details.

Advisor Meeting Parking
Desire 2 Learn (D2L) Pioneer Passport
Dining Services Registration
Financial Aid Resources
Housing Information Textbook Rental
Official User Name and Password Transfer Orientation

Housing Information:

If you have freshman or sophomore status when transferring here, the UW System Board of Regents requires you to live in a residence hall, unless you meet an exception criteria listed below: 
     1. Student commute daily from the home of their parent/legal guardian (50 miles or less).
     2. Student is 21 years of age or older. 
     3. Student has been out of high school for at least two years.
     4. Student has 60 or more post high school university credits.
     5. Student is married.
     6. Student is a veteran.
If you are completing the e-contract or exception form, you should visit the residence life webpage.

This page has both these forms and provides important information about housing on campus.

If you have junior or senior status or are 21 years of age or older upon transferring here, you are welcome to live in the residence halls if you like; however, you are already exempt from the housing requirement. If you want to live on campus, follow the link above. If not, continue to the next section.

For those seeking off-campus housing, Rental Resources is a good place to start your search.

Dining Services:

There are a variety of dining options available to UW- Platteville students. The options are dependent on several factors. Freshmen and sophomores living in the residence halls are required to have a meal plan. Juniors, seniors, and commuters may choose to have a meal plan if they would like one. For plan information, including prices, and to apply for your meal plan, visit the dining services webpage.

Advisor Meeting:

You will not be able to register for classes until you meet with your academic advisor. You will need to contact your department and request an academic advising meeting. The contacts for each department are available on the admissions webpage

When you are here for advising, we recommend that you complete your user name and password registration. You should also get your Pioneer Passport when you are on campus that day.

Official User Name and Password:

To complete the next steps, you will need to visit the help desk on campus and create your official user name and password. It is advised that you do this the same day you come to meet with your academic advisor. The help desk is located on the first floor of the Karrmann Library. Their hours of operation during the semester are Monday through Thursday 7:30 am – 7:30 pm, and Friday 7:30 am- 6:00 pm. Summer hours may vary considerably.  Creating your official user name and password will give you access to your official campus email and the ability to register for classes, pending the advisor meeting.

Pioneer Passport:

Your Pioneer Passport is your official ID card for UW-Platteville. You can obtain this at the Pioneer Passport Office, located on the second floor of the Markee Pioneer Student Center. Their hours of operation during the semester are Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Summer hours may vary considerably. For a full list of uses for your ID, see the passport webpage.


As a transfer student, you get to register at the same time as current students with the same number of credits. You will need to have had an advising meeting and set up your user name and password in order to register. Registration is completed through the PASS system. Once you are logged into the system you should be able to see your registration date on the right side of the page under "Enrollment Dates." A user guide to the registration process is also available.


The university has several parking options for your visit to campus and while you are attending the university. When visiting, you will need to park at a meter or get a visitor parking permit for $4.00. (guest permits are the last option on this site). There is also limited city of Platteville street parking available for your visit; that information can be found on the Campus Police website, under “City of Platteville Parking Information.”

Your options for parking once you become a student are dependent on the housing option you choose. All parking in university lots and some street parking around campus requires a parking permit. For information about permit prices or to order a permit, visit the university police website.

Textbook Rentals:

Textbook rentals at UW-Platteville are included in the segregated fee portion of tuition. Textbooks can be picked up starting the Wednesday before classes begin in the Textbook Center in the lower level of Doudna Hall. You will need to bring your student ID in order to get your books. Textbooks must be returned before the end of the final day of finals week. The Textbook Center will have extended hours during book pick up and return; see the Textbook Center website for full details.

Financial Aid:

If you have not already, you should apply for and accept your financial aid. You can apply and accept at any time, but for many reasons, it is better to do this as soon as possible. For help with or questions on financial aid, please visit the Financial Aid website.


The last resource we will touch on will be very important when starting classes. The University of Wisconsin - Platteville uses Desire2Learn (D2L) as a means of communicating resources and assignments to students. Not every instructor utilizes this program, but you should be aware of it in case your instructor(s) does. It is a good idea to get in the habit of checking D2L for your classes frequently and as early as the week before classes begin. D2L is accessed with your official user name and password. Log in through the D2L website.


Once you become a student, you may feel you are having trouble adjusting or need help in any area. If you do not know where to go to get help, our office is happy to provide assistance or refer you to the best support service on campus for your needs. We have prepared a handout that lists many of the campus resources with a short description and their contact information. If you are looking for tutoring, health services, getting involved, or any other support service, this resource sheet is a good place to start.

ASP- Contact us

Contact us

Academic Support Programs
3rd floor Brigham Hall
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818

Tel: 608.342.1081
Fax: 608.342.6102

Check out all of the Academic Support Program Resources!

Footer Anchor