Help WinEdt to play nicely with Adobe Reader X

Apparently, with the release of Adobe Reader X, Adobe has changed its API, whatever that means. To me, it means that when I use PDFTeXify via WinEdt 5.5, I get lots of error messages and interruptions.

After a bit of work with Google, I've resolved my issues -- probably just in time for Reader XI. I decided to record the changes I made, all in one place, in case it might be helpful to you. Of course, this information comes without any warranty: you can do whatever you want with it, but I will not take any responsibility for the results.

Regardless, here's what I did: your milage may vary.

Under the WinEdt installation folder:

  1. Open [Exec\Acrobat OpenDoc.edt]. Use // to comment out the line (for me, line 92) that says Replace this by This should make Adobe Reader stop popping up the "Manage Trusted Identities" dialog box. Thanks to Wenjie for offering this solution here. You can follow that link to see other changes suggested by chrlbrwn. I haven't made those changes, though, and so far things are working the way I want them to.
  2. Still in [Exec\Acrobat OpenDoc.edt]... comment out the "DDEOpen" command that refers to acroread (for me, line 107), and replace it by: This should make WinEdt stop showing the warning "Cannot Open DDE Link to:" You can read a bit more about this issue here, in the course of which you might form the opinion that Adobe doesn't care about your problems.
  3. Save and close [Exec\Acrobat OpenDoc.edt], then open [Exec\Acrobat CloseDoc.edt] and make the corresponding change: Comment out the DDEOpen command (for me, line 36), and replace it by:

Update (11 Feb 2013): As predicted, Reader XI has already been released. The solutions above still work for me, except that I had to change both instances of "acroviewR10" to "acroviewR11".

Return to my homepage

(last update 11 Feb 13)