Couch Potato Marathon!
A special note from my good friend Michael.
Here is the whole thing:
The 1st EVER Couch Potato Marathon for Children with bleeding disorders will be held on Saturday, 23 April 2005 from 9 AM to 7 PM. For that 10 hours, we are each promising to stay on the couch, beanbag, barco lounger, futon, floor pillows, et cetera. We will get up only to use the washroom and grab a snack. For some of us, this will be an amazing breakthrough that you never believed was possible – Actually staying in one place and relaxing for more than 1 hour. For others (myself included), we’ve been ‘training’ for this our whole life! What we all have in common is that we are making a huge difference in the lives of children with bleeding disorders such as hemophilia and von willebrands Disease.
Here’s the scoop: There are approximately 100 children ages 7-14, in Utah with hemophilia and von willebrands Disease. They rely greatly on their parents and caregivers to help them manage their disease by administering clotting factor as a response to an injury or as a preventative measure. As life goes on for them, many will learn by trial and error what activities are safe for them, and how to know when they need a treatment. The ‘errors’, per se, can be especially harmful to a child who’s blood does not clot normally, and can foster physical conditions that will affect them for the rest of their lives. Chronic pain, loss of mobility, skyrocketing insurance costs are just some of the burdens they must bear.
My commitment in creating and fulfilling on this fundraiser is to send at least 50 Utah children to Camp Valor this summer. At this 1 week camp, they will get to do all the regular fun camp stuff, plus learn self-treatment, awareness of their well-being, and physical activity that is safe & healthy for them. The cost per child is $300. Every dollar counts because every dollar goes right to the Utah Hemophilia Foundation.
Why you? Why me? Why them? Why this project? – The simple answer to all these questions is: I made it up. I decided that I wanted to create something in Mark, Daniel and Marty’s honor. That is really all there is to it. Please pass this along to your brothers & sisters, parents & children, neighbors & friends!
I ask that each of you consider participating in one of the following ways:
- Be a Couch Potato!! Clear your calendar for Saturday 23 April, get a few sponsors, invite some friends to join you (They can get sponsors too!) and enjoy yourselves! Details below!
- Sponsor a Couch Potato! Everybody is free to contribute any dollar amount that is comfortable for them. It’s easiest to sponsor us by the hour ($5/hour=$50)
- Support a Couch Potato! Can’t sit still for 10 hours? Even for a great cause? No Problem! Let me know and I will put you in touch with Couch Potato marathon participants in your area who might need someone to walk their dog, bring them food, baby-sit, et cetera during the marathon!
Basic Information and Frequently Asked Questions:
- We are working with the Utah Hemophilia Foundation, an Agency of the United Way.
- The camp is 1 week long and is called ‘Camp Valor’. The children will get to do all the regular fun camp stuff, plus learn to play safely and learn to treat themselves, thus reducing their dependency on parents and caregivers.
- People are free to contribute any amount. Checks can be made out to the Utah Hemophilia Foundation.
- All contributions are tax-deductible. Any single contribution under $250 does not require a receipt for IRS purposes, but we will happily provide one to anyone who requests it.
- Make yourself a sign-up sheet with spaces for Name of Sponsor, Contact info (phone or email) & Amount Pledged. Or use the attached form
- In order to make the greatest impact, I am asking each of you to secure a minimum of $100 in donations (feel free to exceed this figure) It’s so easy! I have found that people are so inspired by the cause we are supporting, that they being extraordinarily generous.
- Don’t be afraid to ask people to sponsor or join you! This is fun and an awesome cause! Plus, it’s always more fun when surrounded by friends
- If you are concerned or worried or stopped regarding asking people to support you, call me, I can help!
- Put fresh batteries in your remotes.
- Yes, internet access is allowed during the marathon.
- I request that all $ be collected and sent within 1 week of the marathon (30 April 2005) Please mail it to my home address below.
- Send me your mailing address so I can send you your T-shirt!
- If someone asks you if they can be a couch potato too, just forward them this email, or give them my phone number
Michael P. Malone 7030 S. 840 East Midvale, Utah 84047 Home (801) 568-2521 Work (773) 634-2072
Ways to use the time:
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (9+ hours!)
- Book club meeting
- Watch ½ season of 24
- Draw famous people on your knees
- Quality time with your pet
- Quality time with your partner
- Learn to crochet
- Stare at a lava lamp
- Re-read 4th Harry Potter book (It’s the long one)
- Write some of those letters you’ve been meaning to send
- Play that game where everybody sits in a circle and tries to keep a balloon from hitting the floor. (You know what I’m talking about!)
For those about to slack, I salute you!