Schedule a Writing Center Appointment
Available to all UW-Platteville students, Writing Center appointments are free one-on-one sessions with experienced fellow writers trained to consult on assignments in any discpline and other writing-related projects.
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment, visit the Writing Center on the 3rd floor of Brigham Hall or call us at 608.342.1615. Drops-ins are welcome at the Brigham location, but the best way to secure an appointment is to schedule in advance.
What to expect FROM your writing appointment
When you make your appointment:
• Based on the length of the paper, we’ll schedule either a 30- or 60-minute session.
When you arrive for your appointment:
• Bring your prompt/assignment sheet, rubric, notes, and any drafts of your writing.
• Be prepared with specific questions about the assignment, your draft, or writing in general.
During the appointment:
• Your tutor will respond to your writing and your questions as a critical reader and peer, identifying what is working and what can be improved, helping you plan your revisions, and discussing important principles of writing.
• The tutor will address higher-level concerns first, such as responding to the prompt, focus, and organization before working on style, grammar, word choice, and punctuation.
• You and your tutor will have a conversation that guides you through the writing process and encourages you to become a more independent thinker and writer. We will not simply proofread or edit your paper.
For assistance with writing, contact the Writing Center.
Kathryn Weller, Writing Center Coodinator
Diane Paynter, Program Assistant