The Pioneer Undergraduate Research Fellowship is designed to support and encourage meaningful undergraduate student research and scholarly activities under the direction of a faculty research advisor.
Research is defined as scholarly activity; including laboratory findngs, qualitative research, creative productions, and other similar projects.
Individual students in every major are eligible and are encouraged to apply; no group projects are discouraged. *Preference will be given to those unique projects not currently receiving other forms of funding. The Associate Deans of each of the three Colleges at UW-Platteville evaluate the proposals to determine the PURF winners.
PURF Award recipients are required to enroll in the Undergraduate Research Registry, participate in the annual Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors Symposium and have their manuscripts published in The Pioneer Journal, the online journal for the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors.
The Deadline for student proposals is Monday, February 15, 2016.
Questions: contact Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.342.1985. Students may make appointments to meet with the URCE Coordinator located at 516 Pioneer Tower.
faq's and guidelines
- Award amounts range from a minimum of $500.00 to a maximum of $2,500.00.
- Student salaries are available. Amounts range from $500.00 to $1,000.00.
- Work published and posted to The Pioneer Journal: the online Journal for Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors.
- Participation in the annual URCE Symposium. (A portion of the Budget is set aside for poster printing)
- Discussion of findings at the spring PURF Presentation of Research on April 27, 2016
Eligibility for students:
- A minimum of 45 credits at the end of the Fall 2015 semester.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or greater.
- Each student must be enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in both the Fall (2016) and Spring (2017) semesters.
- Please notify the Selection Committee if you will be in a Study Abroad Program for any part of the 2016-17 Academic Year.
Application requirements: *See links included on this page
- A Cover Page
- A 3-5 page narrative (formal guidelines included in document link)
- Budget and Budget justification
- Letter of recommendation from the Faculty Research Advisor with her/his signature on the Cover Page.
- Submission of the proposal packet via email attachment to Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at email@example.com.
- Proposals should be directed toward a general audience; avoid the excessive use of jargon.
- Revisions or changes to the original PURF proposal must be discussed and approved by the Faculty Research Advisor prior to proceeding/continuing with the research. Copies of the revised proposal must be submitted to Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recipients must complete a final report on their findings using Microsoft Word and submission via email attachment to Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at email@example.com by May 1, 2017. Copies will be sent to the Provost, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and the Faculty Research Advisors.