Pioneer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (PURF)
This pane clears float!
The Pioneer Undergraduate Research Fellowship is designed to support and encourage meaningful undergraduate student research and scholarly activities under the direction of a faculty research advisor.
Research is defined as scholarly activity; including laboratory findngs, qualitative research, creative productions, and other similar projects.
Individual students in every major are eligible and are encouraged to apply; no group projects are awarded. *Preference will be given to those unique projects not currently receiving other forms of funding. The Associate Deans of each of the three Colleges at UW-Platteville evaluate the proposals to determine the PURF winners.
PURF Award recipients are required to participate in the annual Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors Symposium and will have their manuscripts published in The Pioneer Journal, the online journal for the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors.
The Deadline for student proposals is Monday, March 9, 2015
Questions: contact the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at email@example.com or 608.342.1983. Students may make appointments to meet with the URCE Coordinator located at 515 Pioneer Tower.
faq's and guidelines
- Award amounts range from a minimum of $500.00 to a maximum of $2,500.00.
- Student salaries are available. Amounts range from $500.00 to $1,000.00.
- Work published and posted to The Pioneer Journal: the online Journal for Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors.
- Participation in the annual URCE Symposium. (A portion of the Budget is set aside for poster printing)
- PowerPoint presentation of findings at the spring PURF Luncheon on April 17, 2015
Eligibility for students:
- A minimum of 45 credits at the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or greater.
- Each student must be enrolled at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in both the Fall (2015) and Spring (2016) semesters.
Application requirements: *See links included on this page
- A Cover Page
- A 3-5 page narrative (formal guidelines included in document link)
- Budget and Budget justification
- Letter of recommendation from the Faculty Research Advisor with her/his signature on the Cover Page.
- Submit the proposal packet via email attachment to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proposals should be directed toward a general audience; avoid the excessive use of jargon.
- Revisions or changes to the original PURF proposal must be discussed with an approved by the Faculty Research Advisor prior to proceeding/continuing with the research. Copies of the revised proposal must be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at email@example.com.
- Recipients must complete a final report on their findings using Microsoft Word and submit via email attachment to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2016. Copies will be sent to the Provost, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and the Faculty Research Advisors.
This pane clears float!