General Information

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Review of Permanent Records

You have the right to inspect and review your permanent educational records in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. These are official records maintained by the university about you. They do not include these exceptions:
  1. Personal notes of University of Wisconsin-Platteville staff and faculty.
  2. Employment records, non-student.
  3. Medical and counseling records used solely for treatment.
  4. Records in the University Police Office.
  5. Financial records of your parents.
  6. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in your records prior to January 1, 1975.
  7. Confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment or honorary recognition placed in your records after January 1, 1975 for which you have waived the right to inspect and review.

There is no one central campus location where educational records are maintained. You likely have a record maintained in each campus office with which you have contact. All students have permanent academic records in the Registrar's Office, student affairs records in the Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs Office and admissions records in either the Admissions Office or the Graduate School Office. Most students also have records in the offices of their major department and/or college dean, and in such other offices as financial aids and housing. Requests to review your records must be made separately, in writing, to each office whose record you wish to review. The office will review its records with you.

You may challenge any information in the records which you believe is inaccurate, misleading or inappropriate. However, a challenge to grades on an academic record is limited to the inaccurate recording of a grade, not to the grade assigned by the professor. Any challenge to records should be in writing. You also may place a written statement in your file to explain some aspect of its record from your point of view.

Third Party Viewing

Under the Privacy Act, you must give prior written consent before information contained in your educational records can be disclosed to third parties other than those exempted by the act. The exemptions include:

  1. Requests from UW-Platteville faculty and staff with a legitimate educational "need to know".
  2. Requests in accordance with a lawful subpoena or court order.
  3. Requests from representatives of agencies or organizations from which you have received financial aid.
  4. Requests from officials of other educational institutions in which you intend to enroll.
  5. Requests from other persons specifically exempted from the prior consent requirement by the act (e.g., certain federal and state officials, organizations conducting studies on behalf of the university, accrediting organizations).
  6. Requests for "directory information".

Directory Information

In keeping with the Privacy Act, the university has designated the following information about you as public and routinely will release it to any inquirer unless you choose to exercise your right to have all of the information withheld. It includes:

  1. Name
  2. Address
  3. Telephone Listing
  4. University assigned e-mail address
  5. Major field of study
  6. College enrolled
  7. Dates of attendance
  8. Part-time/Full-time status
  9. Term units (credits) enrolled
  10. Previous institution attended
  11. Anticipated degrees and dates
  12. Degrees earned
  13. Honors and awards
  14. Participation in officially recognized sports and activities
  15. Physical factors (weight/height) of student athletes

The university receives many inquiries for "directory information" from a variety of sources including friends, parents, relatives, prospective employers, graduate schools, honor societies, licensing agencies, government agencies and news media. Consider very carefully the consequences should you decide to withhold "directory information." If you inform the university not to release this "directory information," any future requests for such information from non-university persons or organizations will be refused. For example, the university could not give your telephone number or address to a family member wishing to notify you of a serious illness or crisis in the family. A prospective employer requesting confirmation of your major field of study or degree earned also would be denied access to such items if you decide not to release "directory information".

The university will honor your request to withhold "directory information". However, it cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release them. Regardless of the effect upon you, the university assumes no liability for honoring your instructions that such information be withheld.

If you wish to withhold directory information, go to the Registrar's Office, first floor, Brigham, and complete the necessary form. If you have further questions about the provisions of the act, contact either the Registrar's Office or the Dean of Students.