Purpose and Duties
- Represents and is responsible to the general faculty and is the highest forum for faculty participation in the formulation of general University missions, strategies, and policies.
- Reviews the work and acts upon the recommendations of the Academic Planning Council and reviews the work of the Student Affairs Council.
- Makes appointments and conducts elections as required by the Faculty Bylaws to maintain prescribed membership on the Senate and other organizations.
- Takes matters to the general faculty at regular or special meetings as required and appropriate.
Composition of Senate
- Three (3) members from each college (excluding the Graduate School) and one from the library chosen in a general election according tot he provision of the Article V for three-year terms except that
- Only those who will have served this university two or more years at the beginning of the term to be served shall be eligible,
- Incumbents of more than one year's service may not be re-elected,
- Academic deans and assistant or associate chancellors or vice chancellors are not eligible for election, and
- faculty approved for a leave of absence during the subsequent academic year are not eligible.
- Six (6) at-large members chosen in a general election according to the provisions of Article V.
- Ex-Officio (non-voting)
- Vice Chancellor