Purpose and Duties:
- Reviews research proposals for projects involving human subjects. All projects, funded or unfunded, originated at or supported by UW-Platteville, that involve humans as subjects, or data or materials derived from humans, are subject to review. This includes all research involving UWP students, personnel, or facilities.
- Publishes the IRB Manual of Policies and Procedures which contains the protocol form and the procedures for submitting and reviewing proposals. This manual is reviewed annually and revised as needed.
- Helps faculty understand the federal regulations and prepare protocols.
- Coordinates findings with the Office of Sponsored Programs when the research involves extramural funding.
- Maintains a file of IRB documents for a period of at least three years as required by federal regulations.
- Drafts an assurance statement for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as needed.
- Appoints, prior to the fall semester, the community member(s) for a three year term in accordance with 45 CFR 46.107, Protection of Human Subject.
Composition of Review Board:
- Nine (9) faculty with three-year staggered terms, and attention to gender equity in membership, including one faculty member from each college and one member of the Academic & Institutional Research Committee, with the recommendation that there be a member from Psychology and Industrial Engineering.
- One (1) academic staff.
- One (1) community representative, appointed by the committee.
- Director of Sponsored Programs