|USE OF UNIVERSITY FACILITIES|
UWS 21.01 DECLARATION OF POLICY. It is the policy of the board of regents that the facilities of the university are to be used primarily for purposes of fulfilling the university's missions of teaching, research and public service. University facilities are not available for unrestricted use for other purposes. In order to preserve and enhance the primary functions of university facilities, the board of regents adopts this chapter to govern the use of university facilities.
UWS 21.02 DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Board of regents" or "board" has the meaning given under s. UWS 1.02.
(2) "Chancellor" means the chief executive officer of a university, the university of Wisconsin centers, or the university extension.
(3) "Facilities" or "university facilities" means the publicly owned or leased buildings and grounds which are subject to the custody and control of the board.
(4) "Institution" has the meaning given under s. UWS 1.06.
(5) "Organization associated with an institution" means that an organization is an officially recognized staff or student group, or an administrative or academic unit, or a state agency.
(6) "Staff" means all employees of the university of Wisconsin system.
(7) "Student" means any person who is registered for study in an institution of the university of Wisconsin system for the current academic period.
(8) "University" has the meaning given under s. UWS 1.07.
UWS 21.03 USE OF FACILITIES BY ORGANIZATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH AN INSTITUTION. (1) The chancellor of each institution, or his or her designee, shall permit organizations associated with that institution to use university facilities for events for staff and students, if he or she determines that:
(2) The organizations using university facilities under this section may be required to reimburse the institution for the costs, if any, incident to the use of the facilities.
(3) Organizations using university facilities under this section may be required to pay rental charges for use of the facilities if the use is revenue producing.
UWS 21.04 USE OF FACILITIES BY PERSONS OR ORGANIZATIONS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH AN INSTITUTION. (1) The chancellor of each institution, or his or her designee, may permit persons, or organizations not associated with that institution, to use university facilities at his or her institution if he or she determines that:
(2) Persons or organizations using university facilities under this section must reimburse the institutions for the costs, if any, incident to the use of the facilities.
(3) Persons or organizations using university facilities under this section may be required to pay rental charges for use of facilities if the use is revenue producing.
UWS 21.05 ACCESS TO PUBLIC EVENTS HELD AT UNIVERSITY FACILITIES. (1) It is the policy of the board to ensure maximum access to public events held in university facilities, consistent with the legally recognized rights and interests of performers, lecturers, artists and speakers.
(2) Where a person or organization has secured the use of university facilities for a public event, any contemplated restrictions or conditions on access to the event must be made known prior to the event, and must be embodied in a written agreement with the institution, which agreement shall be open to public inspection. However, such agreements may not deny or restrict access to university facilities in a manner contrary to other applicable laws or regulations or on any basis prohibited by law.
UWS 21.06 INSTITUTIONAL PROCEDURES. The chancellor of each institution, in consultation with appropriate staff and students, shall develop procedures for the administration of this chapter which shall, at a minimum, include the following:
(1) Procedures for securing permission to use university facilities;
(2) A schedule of the costs and rental fees, if any, assessed for the use of facilities; and
(3) A description of any institutional limitations concerning the time of availability and manner of the use of institutional facilities.