This pane clears float!
The visual art, décor, and features inside and outside of the Markee contribute to the learning and personal development of our students and guests by cultivating aesthetic sensitivity, and an appreciation of the visual arts and perspectives of others.
The Markee is proud to celebrate the nationalities of our international students in attendance at UW-Platteville. The Heritage Hall International Flags are routinely adjusted in collaboration with our International Students and Scholar Services as a means of welcoming our international students to the campus community.
Dedicated by the International Student Club during the grand opening of the Markee in 2002, in memory of the September 11 tragedy, the Peace Pole proclaims the message "May Peace Prevail on Earth" in twelve languages. The Peace Pole Project started in Japan in 1955, in response to the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagaski. The Markee Peace Pole connects our community to communities world wide in a spirit of peace.
The Old Normal Bell
Cast for the State Normal School-Platteville, the Old Normal Bell first hung in the bell tower of Wisconsin's first Normal School building. According to the first catalogue of the Normal School, the bell ruled campus life! Manufactured in 1870 in Troy, New York, the Old Normal Bell weighs 1,390 pounds. In 2002, through a generous gift from the UW-Platteville Alumni Association, the Old Normal Bell was restored and given a new "voice" and home at the Markee. The bell rings on the hour Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., as a reminder of when it truly ruled the life of the campus.
The Heritage Hall University Seal
A nineteen foot round seal of the university was created in expanded metal and predominantly placed in Heritage Hall as part of the construction of the Markee Pioneer Student Center. The university seal displays two symbols rooted in the school's beginning, the bell of the Platteville Normal School and the "M" from the Wisconsin Mining School. A tradition and featured ceremony at UW-Platteville is the lighting of the world’s largest “M” built a few miles east of town by mining school students in 1936. That tradition is honored at the student center by the lighting of the university seal.
The Heritage Hall Mural
Completed in June 2005 by River City Murals of Dubuque, the Heritage Hall Mural depicts six celebrated buildings, three historic seals, and the momentous "M" mound of the university. The "M", Old Main, the Platteville Academy, the State Normal School and Wisconsin Mining School Building, Ullrich Hall, and Ullsvik Hall (as the former student center), along with the State Teacher College seal, the Wisconsin Mining School Emblem, and UW-Platteville's seal can be viewed in the north lobby of Heritage Hall.
The Wisconsin Sesquicentennial Portfolio
The Wisconsin Sesquicentennial Portfolio features 19 prints in total, including the project description prints and Wisconsin sesquicentennial Project prints. Fifteen artists with significant ties to Wisconsin were commissioned to create the etchings in celebration of Wisconsin’s 150th anniversary. Their works are dynamic statements on the Wisconsin experience, and reveal the diversity found in the state’s history. Additionally, the prints offer an array of artistic techniques and styles; from realism to satire, impressionism, and expressionism. The Markee owns a complete set of the limited edition, and is one of the few locations where the portfolio can be viewed in its entirety.
Located between the Markee and Boebel Hall, the Strategem represents the three colleges of UW-Platteville, and the decision-making process students go through during their college career. Often referred to as "The Chess Pieces", the sculpture's artist, Scott Wallace, intentionally produced the large-scale sculpture to replicate chess pieces in movement on a chess board. The Strategem is often used a gathering place for indviduals and groups who wish to exercise their First Amendment right of freedom of speech. The sculpture was installed in April 2006.
Affirming the College Union idea of balancing course work and free time as cooperative factors in education, the Markee Watergarden was designed by Horticulture Club students in the spring of 2004. University Grounds crew completed the installation of the Watergarden including the nearby flowerbed that summer and have been maintaining the "pond" ever since. The Watergarden has become a popular destination on campus for photos, and children of all ages enjoy visiting the koi fish, who call the Watergarden home. The Watergarden continues to provided hands-on experience for students as well as provide dining services with garnishes for meals.
This pane clears float!