Resident Assistant Selection
UW-PLATTEVILLE RESIDENT ASSISTANT (RA) APPLICATION PROCESS
The Department of Residence Life at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville appreciates your interest in being considered for the limited Resident Assistant positions that will be available for the 2014-2015 academic year. Please review the following information regarding the application process, time frames, and general information.
1. First, please review the attached RA job description -- especially noting the minimum qualifications. GPA qualifications are important and will be strictly enforced. If you believe you have a special circumstance that should be considered, please submit a written, detailed explanation to Robin Gore, Interim Assistant Director of the Department of Residence Life. You can e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will contact you with a decision regarding your applicant status.
2. It is desired that applicants for the RA position have at least one semester of residence hall living experience (on the UW-Platteville campus or elsewhere). Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Robin Gore, Interim Assistant Director of the Department of Residence Life, at the above e-mail address with questions about this.
3. Your file will not be complete without receipt of a cover letter and current resume detailing work and other experiences. It will be helpful to your candidacy to include on your resume, experiences pertinent to the skills needed to be a successful RA. Upon receipt of your cover letter, resume and the candidate information form, our office will send evaluation forms to your Resident Assistant and your Resident Director. It is hoped that these individuals are able to provide information related to your potential to be effective in an RA role. The Senior Assistant for your building will be asked to provide feedback as well. If your Resident Director does not know you well enough to evaluate you, he/she may return the form to us indicating just that. That does not count against you, as it is not possible for the RD to know every resident well enough to provide an evaluation. Two additional forms are included in this packet for you to request that individuals of your choice (another Department of Residence Life staff member, student services office staff member, faculty member, previous employer, etc.) fill out and submit the form to this department. Each applicant will need a minimum of two completed evaluation forms, and it is possible for an applicant to have three or four completed evaluation forms.
IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY LIVING OFF-CAMPUS, YOU MUST ASK THE DEPARTMENT OF RESIDENCE LIFE OFFICE PERSONNEL WHO ARE DISTRIBUTING THE APPLICATIONS WHAT TO DO REGARDING THE RECOMMENDATION FORMS.
All evaluation forms must be received by the Department of Residence Life Office by January 31, 2014.
4. Recommendation form waiver of access -- Please review the recommendation form waiver of access information on the candidate information form and sign your preference. This determines whether you want to retain or waive (give away) your right to see and review the evaluation forms submitted by your references (RA, RD, and the optional outside references). If you sign the waiver, it means that you DO NOT wish to see or review those evaluation forms. The waiver pertains ONLY to those evaluation forms; the rest of your file (interview evaluation forms) may be reviewed by you after the selection process has been completed. The decision to sign the waiver or not is YOUR choice -- there is no right or wrong decision.
5. Review the selection process timetable very carefully. Deadlines and schedules are very important! Applicants are responsible for the information contained in this packet.
We appreciate your interest in serving in this very important residence hall staff role. Please feel free to contact an RA, an RD, or the Department of Residence Life Office if you have any questions.