From the Director
Email sent to Residents on January 27, 2016
Hello residence hall students!
I hope that your spring semester at UW-Platteville is off to a great start! The purpose of this email is to provide important information regarding your housing for 2016-17. YOU are RESPONSIBLE for reading and understanding the content of this email. Please note that our room sign up process for 2016-17 will begin online February 8, 2016 based on your credits earned, and desire to stay in your same room or switch to a different residence hall. You will be receiving information in your mailbox later this week along with information posted on our web page at this link www.uwplatt.edu/residence-life/room-reservations. Pay special attention to the “Frequently Asked Questions” link to answer some of your questions regarding the 2016-17 room reservation process. Please also look for posters in your hall and information on our UW-Platteville Residence Life Facebook page.
Here are the highlights of this email:
- *The UW-System Freshmen and Sophomore Residency Requirement is, and will continue to be, enforced for this year and years to follow.
- *Room sign up begins on February 8th, 2016. You are responsible for reading appropriate materials and asking questions.
- *Once a contract is submitted on-line, students will not be able to cancel for any reason.
Please read on.
University of Wisconsin Board of Regents policy states that all freshman and sophomore students must live in university residence halls unless they meet established criteria for exemption. Exceptions to this requirement are authorized, with appropriate completion of paperwork, for the following reasons:
1. Students who commute daily from the home of their parent/legal guardian within a 50 mile radius
2. Students who are 21 years of age or older
3. Students who have been out of high school for at least two years
4. Students who have 60 or more credits taken at a university, after high school.
5. Students who are married
Students must submit documentation before room sign up, in addition to completing the Request for Exemption form provided by the Department of Residence Life. Students are not released from the requirement unless they receive written authorization from me, the Director of Residence Life.
Please note that students will be held to this requirement through this year and beyond and should not proceed to make plans with others to live off campus or sign leases, etc. as we don’t want students having to pay double rental rates for a residence hall room and an off campus living space. You will be held to the residency requirement and residence hall contract, and will be billed for a residence hall space accordingly, regardless of any plans you make without the approval of the Department of Residence Life at UW-Platteville. An exception will not be made because you have already signed a lease to live off campus.
We will be checking your status during room reservation time to see if you are in compliance with the UW System Board of Regents Residency Requirement. A hold will be placed on your student account if you are not in compliance, and you will not be able to register for fall, 2016 classes until you reserve a residence hall space.
The following reasons (not all inclusive) are common issues presented in previous years as extreme circumstances and will not be considered for exemption from the residency requirement:
• Financial concerns
• Roommate issues
• Dissatisfaction with hall environment
• Health concerns that can be accommodated in other residence hall options
All residence hall contracts are full academic year contracts. Once a contract is submitted electronically, it is legally binding. No cancellations of contracts will be permitted unless you are no longer attending UW-Platteville. We will no longer be offering one semester contracts, however, students participating in a university sponsored program (education abroad, co-op, internship, and student teaching) or military service for the spring semester of 2017 will not be held to their contract. We will be confirming your involvement to ensure compliance.
Please be watching your email, mailbox, Residence Life web page, Residence Life Facebook page, and posters in your hall for more information regarding room sign-up and securing a space for next year. It is your responsibility to read all information presented to you so you know how to proceed. The contract windows are as follows:
• February 8-10: Same room sign-up (except for Southwest Hall and Cooper LLC which have already begun their processes).
• February 11-14: Students with greater than or equal to 60 post high school credits begin sign up.
• February 15-21: Students with 30-59 post high school credits begin sign up.
• February 22-24: Students with 15-29 post high school credits begin sign up.
• February 25: Returning students who have 14 or fewer post high school credits begin sign up.
Please do not respond to this email as it is intended for information purposes only. Questions can be directed to your resident assistant or resident director. Thank you.
Director of Residence Life
University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Achieve Excellence. Create Opportunities. Empower Individuals.