Academic Bankruptcy

Students who transfer from one department to another at UW-Platteville may be granted the option to have their prior academic record adjusted as follows if they have a grade point average of 2.00 or better.

  1. Credits in courses in which a grade of "D" or better was earned will be counted toward graduation but not necessarily toward a major or minor.
  2. All previous work shall remain on the official record but the grades will not be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average will be calculated on the basis of grades earned after declaration of academic bankruptcy.
  3. Students who have less than 2.00 may also qualify, but the credits in which a "D" was earned will not count toward graduation.
  4. This option may be used only once in a student's career.
  5. In order to graduate after electing this option, a student must complete at least 32 credits and earn a 2.00 grade point average.

Students who wish to file academic bankruptcy must do so within one semester of the change of major. Students who declare academic bankruptcy are not eligible to pursue a major in the original department without expressed permission from the dean of that college, and the student's cumulative grade point average will be re-calculated.

Footer Anchor