This pane clears float!
WELCOME TO Pickard HALL
Pickard Hall, named after Josiah L. Pickard and built in 1969, houses 275 residents, approximately 205 men and 70 women, and is located in “The Circle." Very popular with first year students, Pickard Hall provides a close community atmosphere for its residents. Starting in the fall of 2013, Pickard Hall will be hosting a First Year Experience Interest Community (To learn more about Interest Communities, click here).
The structure of Pickard is unique in that it has a center stairwell in addition to those at the east and west ends of the building. The study lounges and main lobby of Pickard were updated with new seating and tables in the spring of 2012. New mini fridges were placed in all of the student rooms in the spring of 2011 and spring of 2012.
Pickard Hall sponsors an annual "Fright Fest" haunted house-type activity at Halloween as a charity fundraiser. This event is open not only to UW-Platteville students, but to community members as well. In the Spring, the staff and hall council also put on a murder myster event, like a giant Clue game! These are both amazing opportunities for residents to get involved, make new friends, and gain valuable leadership experience!
From the Desk of the Resident Director
Happy October Pickard Hall!
I hope you have all been enjoying the cooler temperatures. Fall is officially upon us! With that, means a lot of fun and exciting events happening in our hall and on campus. Highlighted below are a few of the bigger events for October. However, be sure to attend Pickard Hall’s Hall Council on Wednesdays at 8:30pm in the T.V. Lounge to find out further details and other upcoming events.
- Homecoming: Homecoming is October 4th – 10th. Everyday there are events happening. If you are interested in participating, make sure that you are signing up in the Pickard lobby. Even if you are not interested in participating, be sure to attend and cheer on your fellow Pickard residents!
- Dobson Hall Trick-or-Treat: Every year, Dobson Hall sponsors a trick-or-treat night where youth in the Platteville Community are welcomed into the hall to trick-or-treat in a family friendly, safe environment. Dobson is always looking for volunteers to help facilitate fun games and activities in the basement for the youth. If you are interested, be sure to contact the Dobson Hall staff.
- Pickard Hall’s Fright Fest: The biggest and scariest Halloween tradition on UW-Platteville’s campus is Pickard Hall’s Fright Fest! Scaring since 1985, this year’s theme is, Pickard Hall Horror Stories: A Scare to Remember. If you are interested in helping or participating, talk with your RA. More information will be coming throughout the month and at Hall Council meetings. This year’s date is Thursday, October 29th.
- Friday Night Clubs (FNC): As always, do not forget about the FNCs that occur every Friday night, beginning at 9:00pm. To learn more about FNCs or to find out what this week’s event is, be sure to check out the board located next to the Pickard Hall front desk!
- Pizza with the Profs: Throughout the month of October, there will be two opportunities to eat pizza with Professors. This month’s professors who will be visiting us are, George Krueger, Becky Fernette, and Travis Nelson. Spots go fast so be sure to sign up at the front desk as soon as those lists come out. Pizza is provided!
As we continue to dive deeper into the semester, it is important to remember that midterms will be here very shortly. Make sure you are not only attending every class, but that you are also using your resources. Don’t be afraid to utilize the many resources on campus like the Mathematics Learning Center (MLC) in Gardner Hall, Writing and Tutoring Resources (WATR) in Brigham, Student Support Services (SSS) in Warner, or any of the other great resources. Most are already covered in your tuition or are very little in cost.
Above all, make sure that you are taking care of yourself, staying healthy, and staying safe. Do not hesitate to utilize Student Health Services or Counseling Services. Both are located on the second floor in Royce Hall. With Halloween coming up at the end of the month, make sure your plans are fun…but make sure they are safe for you and your friends.
If you every have any questions or just want to stop in and chat, send me an email or stop by my office!
Hope to see you at many of these October events,
This pane clears float!