Secretary of Search and Screen Committee
Check Off List
As forms and web pages are updated often to accommodate changes and improve documentation, new downloads should be done for each search. Do not use documents downloaded previously unless they have been checked for changes. The date of the most recent change usually can be found at the bottom of each web page and each document.
Prepare a file for the search, making sure to put on the label the name of the position and the code which will be used for that position (the code should be 4 to 8 characters long and can contain alpha or numeric characters). Examples: 07AG12, 64A07, 07SA, 07LIBRY3, 91-07, EMS07.
All the forms can be completed on the Web except 3a and 3b. All forms can be downloaded from the web as Word documents (and Excel for 3a and 3b) or as fill-in PDF format. See the Search and Screen Forms web page
for further details. Please remember that forms are occasionally updated so before a new search you should download the latest version.
Prepare Form 1 – Position Request
. Make sure all blanks are filled. It is important to have the position code filled in. Have the Chair of the Search and Screen Committee sign the form.
Make copies of the forms and attachments and forward Forms 1 and 2 to the Department Chair/Supervisor (Director) with all attachments. Place copies in search file.
After all signatures have been obtained on Forms 1 and 2, the Vice-Chancellor’s Office will distribute them, sending one copy back to you. Replace your copies in the search file with the signed copies.
Place the Recruitment Plan prepared by the Search and Screen Committee in the search file, with any changes made to the position advertisement or to the list of agencies and media to which the information will be sent.
Send out recruitment ad to the appropriate media keeping copies of all correspondence in the search file.
Copy for the search file the following forms developed by the Search and Screen Committee:
- Candidate Screening Form
- Interview Questions
- Telephone Reference Questions if applicable
- Interview Rating Form
Forward all these forms to the Affirmative Action Office for approval.
If necessary, make to the above forms any changes suggested by the Affirmative Action Office and approved by the Search and Screen Committee. Place a copy of the revised forms in the search file.
Receive the applications as they come in, creating a file for each. Number each application in order by date received and place it in its file. Use the Position Code plus 1 (i.e., 07AG12-1, EMS07-1, 64A07-1) for the first one received, 2 (i.e., 07AG12-2, EMS07-2, 64A07-2) for the second one received, etc. Place the Individual Application Log
in the individual applicant file, perhaps attached to the left side of the file to keep track of information about the applicant and to track documents sent by and to the applicant. Print all email correspondence with the applicant and place in the file.
Send each applicant an acknowledgement of receipt of the application. There are two ways the applicant can be notified.
- By email: The letter can be sent as an email (see sample) or it can be a letter attached to an email (see sample). The copy of the position description (as applicant may not have seen the complete announcement) and the Request for Confidentiality form should be attached to the email.
- By U.S. mail: There are two sample versions of the letter of acknowledgement. The first version of the letter of acknowledgement is for those offices that decide to have the applicants complete the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire (Self Identification Form) on-line instead of sending them the form. This letter of acknowledgement gives the web address to complete the form on-line. See the sample letter of acknowledgement for an on-line response to the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire. The second sample is for search committees sending the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire (Self Identification Form) as a self-mailer. See this sample. Three documents would be enclosed with this letter, a copy of the position description (as applicant may not have seen the complete announcement), a Request for Confidentiality form and the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire (Self Identification Form).
Documents the applicant must receive in some format with the letter of acknowledgement.
- Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire (Self-Identification Form). Note that the Position Code for this form is unique to each person, and is the same one as placed on the applicant folder (i.e., 07AG12-1, 07AG12-2, 07AG12-3, etc.).
- On-line form
(information is sent to the Affirmative Action Office by email). Use the
email version of the acknowledgement letter or the
second sample acknowledgement letter noted above if
you are going to use this. Do NOT send a hard copy of the self-identification form.
- Word document.
Download the document to your hard drive and put the position title and position
code in the proper blanks before attaching it to the email. This can be returned to
the Affirmative Action Office directly as an attachment (the email address is at the bottom
of the form).
- PDF fill-in document
(can be attached to an email). Provide the Position Code in your acknowledgement letter. This
can be returned to the Affirmative Action Office directly as an attachment (the email address
is at the bottom of the form).
- Self-mailer obtained from the Affirmative Action Office (Brigham230) Fill in
the position title and position code on the Self Identification Form before
it is sent.
- Confidentiality Statement. This is a document prepared by the search committee following the format in the web sample. This is NOT a downloadable document as it changes for each search. This must be prepared by your office. This can be sent as hard copy or as a Word attachment to be returned by the applicant if he/she wants to do so.
- The complete position description. The document should be in Word format.
The applicant should be advised to return the Request for Confidentiality
form (if so desired) to the Search and Screen Committee and the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire (Self-Identification Form)
to the Affirmative Action Office for processing.
Make a copy of the letter after the Search and Screen Chair signs and place it in the applicant’s file. If it is sent by email, print the email (or have the Search and Screen Chair print it) and place it in the applicant’s file.
If the applicant returns the Request for Confidentiality, place it in the applicant’s file. Occasionally an unsuccessful applicant or the press will request a list of all applicants. You are required to send this list EXCEPT for those who have returned a signed Request for Confidentiality.
Continuously update Form 3a – Applicant List
as the applications arrive, numbering the applicants in order of receipt and placing them on the form in the order of receipt. Make certain you fill in the position number blank, the degree in the field for the degree, as well as the experience. Do not complete the Gender/Ethnic columns. The form is available to download as a Word or an Excel document. A sample is available at Form 3a – Applicant List
For searches where there is any chance that a foreign national will be hired, add a column where you would write the applicant’s country of origin (i.e., U.S., Canada, Turkey, China, Poland). You would not print this column when you attach the Form 3a to Form 3. However, in case a foreign national (a person who is not a U.S. citizen or U.S. green card holder) is hired, the Human Resources Director will need this information for ALL applicants when she sends in the application for Foreign Labor Certification to the Department of Labor. It is advisable to complete this column as the application documents come in. It would be much more difficult later.
When the Search and Screen Committee informs you, complete Form 3a and prepare the 3b – Qualified Applicant List
. The form can be downloaded as a Word or an Excel document. A sample is available at Form 3b – Qualified Applicant List
. The gender and ethnic group information need not be completed. This information is kept in the Affirmative Action Office for those individuals who returned the Affirmative Action Data Questionnaire
. Form 3b includes all qualified
applicants based on the advertisement. They are placed in the order received or in alphabetical order
. In the last space for each applicant, put the reason the person is not being interviewed on campus (often based on conversation with the references or telephone interview). Note the candidates to be interviewed in the last column.
When the Search and Screen Committee informs you, notify all applicants with incomplete files or those not meeting the stated minimum qualifications. See a sample rejection letter
. Place a copy of the notification letter in the application file. If the rejection letter is sent by email, send it to each applicant individually (or at least use the discreet “blind carbon copy” (bcc:) function). Print the email and place it in the applicant’s file. The name of that applicant is withdrawn from further consideration. The name will not be included on form 3b.
Complete Form 3 – Interview Request
- Department and Availability Data are the same as on Form 2. If you are unable to get the information from the Affirmative Action Office for TOTAL APPLICANT POOL and QUALIFIED APPLICANT POOL, the Affirmative Action Office will complete these blanks. The Search and Screen Committee should be able to tell you the information for the INTERVIEW POOL.
- Attach Form 3a, Form 3b, a copy of the Candidate Screening Form, the Interview Questions and the Telephone Reference Form (if applicable).
- Have the Chair of the Search and Screen Committee sign the form.
- Make copies of the forms and attachments and forward all items to the Department Chair/Supervisor. Place copies of forms with all attachments in search file.
After all signatures have been obtained on Form 3, the Vice-Chancellor’s Office will distribute it, sending one copy back to you. Replace your copy in the search file with the copy containing signatures.
At least five work days prior to the on-campus interviews assist the Search and Screen Committee with the preparation of the candidates’ file for the interviews. It should contain the following:
- Interview Check List (a Word document)
- Itinerary for Interview
- Individual Application Log
- Letter of Application with copies of correspondence from the Search and Screen Committee
- Recommendation Letters
- Narrative Reports of Calls made to references and/or others
- Candidate Screening Form
- Position Announcement
- List of specially requested items (items to be available, but not in the file)
- Hand-carry these items to the Dean’s/Area Head’s Office.
Assist the Search and Screen Committee with the preparation of the Interview Agenda and distribute to appropriate persons.
Assist the Search and Screen Committee with the preparation of the itinerary for the campus interviews and send an information packet to each candidate. This packet consists of the following:
- Travel Log (which can be printed off from the Web site) to keep track of their travel expenses along with the Traveler’s Reference Guide. The Traveler’s Reference Guide explains what travel expenses can be reimbursed. You may request a supply from the travel office at telephone number 1346. If the log and the pocket guide were not sent to the candidate prior to the interview, they could be given at the beginning of the interview.
- Itinerary for the interview
- Reasonable Accommodation Statement
- Copy of the University catalog
- Student recruitment viewbook and/or brochures
- Campus guide/map
- Calendar of events, performing arts series and other brochures of interest
- Chamber of Commerce materials
The candidate must fill out the Travel Log
during his/her travel. If there will be expenses after departure from Platteville, he/she should return by mail to the Search and Screen Committee Chair the completed and signed Travel Log
, attaching all necessary original receipts.
Upon receipt of the completed and signed Travel Log
prepare a Web-TER
using the travel expenses from the Travel Log
. The Web-TER
requires a signature for the traveler. Type in the signature space “See Attached,” referring to the signed Travel Log
which will be attached. In addition, attach the Interview Agenda
, a copy of the signed Request for Authorization to Reimburse Applicant for Interview Expenses
(returned by the Business Affairs Office) and all relevant receipts. Have the Web-TER
signed by the appropriate supervisor and forwarded to the travel office for reimbursement. See under the section called Search and Screen / Interview Candidates
in the Business Office Travel
page of the Office of Business Affairs Web site
about special instructions when candidates must rent a car.
Complete Form 4 – Request to Make an Offer
, getting the relevant information from the Chair of the Search and Screen Committee. Make a copy and forward Form 4 to the Department Chair/Supervisor. Place the copy in your search file.
After all signatures have been obtained on Form 4, the Vice-Chancellor’s Office will distribute it, sending one copy back to you. Replace the copy in your search file with the signed copy.
Normally the Form 5 – Contract Request
is prepared by the Department Chair/Supervisor, but if requested, complete the form. If another person prepares this, make sure to get copies for the search file. Complete on the form or attach the following documents which the Department Chair/Supervisor will have obtained from the candidate. A contract cannot be prepared without this information/these documents.
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Official transcript from the terminal degree-granting institution
- Citizenship Status
- The original application letter (a copy may be kept in the applicant’s file).
- The original résumé (a copy may be kept in the applicant’s file)
- Letters of Reference (copies may be kept in the applicant’s file)
Have the Department Chair sign the form if you prepare this document.
If you prepare this document, forward Form 5 to the Dean/Area Head with all attached documentation, placing a copy in your search file.
The Chancellor’s Office distributes a white copy of the contract (unsigned by candidate), sending one copy back to the Department Chair/Supervisor, with a copy of the signed Form 5. Replace the Form 5 in your search file with the signed copy and keep a copy of the unsigned contract. You may have to work with the Department Chair/Supervisor to get copies.
The Chancellor’s Office distributes a blue copy of the completely signed contract upon return from the candidate, sending one copy back to the Department Chair/Supervisor. Replace the white copy with a copy of the blue signed copy in the search file. You may have to work with the Department Chair/Supervisor to get copies. If a foreign national has accepted the position, please contact the Human Resources Director immediately so paperwork can be started for the Foreign Labor Certification process.
Send a letter to all unsuccessful candidates. Refer to the sample letter
. The letter identifies the position, but does not name the appointee or provide specific information concerning the number of applicants or qualifications of the appointee. Place a copy of the letter in each applicant’s file.
Ensure a complete file for the Search and Screen position, including all applications, copies of letters, and all other documentation, to be kept in department files for at least three years.