Bioclub Minutes from 1-24-01
1. Order called at 6 pm and introductions and candy!
2. Kristel Mehring gave an interesting account of her fun and educational
trip with the Biology trip to Belize. The students and Dr. Dykstra enjoyed
snorkeling, viewing different native plant and animal species, caving, boating,
eating and drinking Belizian specialties, and meeting friendly people. While
having a great experience for nearly two weeks, they received 3 credits for
their studies. There will be a different trip next year and everyone is
encouraged to consider going!
3. Surveys were passed around and t-shirt ideas asked to be written on
1. Graduating senior biology majors are encouraged to stop by the biology
departmental office and pick up their gifts from the alumni- travel coffee
mugs. Freshman biology majors are encouraged to pick up their lanyards from
the office as well.
2. Be sure to check for scholarships you maybe eligible for through the
financial aid department. Deadlines are February 15!
3. There is 15 passenger van training from 3-5 pm every Monday and Tuesday
from now through March 20. Members are encouraged to take the test so they can
drive to different events! The cost is nothing and the number to call for
information is 342-1155.
4. St. Mary's Grade School needs tutors for grades 1-8 from 3:15-4:15
Monday through Thursdays. If you are eligible for workstudy, they will pay you
$6 an hour to work with the children or you can simply be a volunteer. You can
choose the days you like- the students come in on an appointment basis and also
walk-in. They also need lunch playground supervisors and pay $6 an hour for
this commitment as well and also give you free lunch (PROBABLY ALL YOU CAN EAT,
BRAD!!!!!) from 11:25 til 12:25pm. If you have good communication skills and
are interested in either position, see the info sheet in the bioclub room or
call 348-5806 to talk with Joan Roberts about the details.
5. The tentative dates for spring semester outings are as follows:
Early February Army Pre-Professional Scholarship Speaker
April Cadaver Lab Tour
April 7 9 am Highway Clean-up
April 22 11 am Caving
April 25 5:30 Faculty/Student Picnic
6. If anyone is interested in doing the ropes course in the Fieldhouse,
e-mail email@example.com if you didn't write this down on your survey. 10
people are necessary to participate in this event.
7. If you have an idea for a guest speaker, e-mail bioclub!
8. The date of the next meeting will be in 2-3 weeks and you will be
e-mailed for sure!
9. Adjourned at 6:25 pm.